Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lines in print

Posted by lotw 
Lines in print
May 27, 2013 06:10AM
I have these lines in my prints, is there a way to get rid of them, calibration etc?
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (538.6 KB)
Re: Lines in print
May 27, 2013 07:38AM
It looks like wobble in your z-axis leadscrews, if you google "reprap z-axis wobble" you will find a lot of posts about what causes it, and different ways of getting rid of it.
May 27, 2013 08:15AM
What leadscrews are you using?

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
May 27, 2013 10:23AM
I am not sure which ones, it's a Lulzbot AO-101
May 28, 2013 01:07AM
try calibrating z axis mm per step to the nearest whole number in firmware. also make sure the z rods are strait and level, and that the bushings are seated correctly with out slop.
May 28, 2013 03:27PM
I could be wrong but it looks like your Z is skipping stepps because the layers are not shifted(over on one side and under on the other...try changing the speed of Z axis or limiting the firmware to a speed you know your machine can run.

Z wobble would be inconsistant misalligned layers.
May 28, 2013 03:58PM
CdnReprap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could be wrong but it looks like your Z is
> skipping stepps because the layers are not
> shifted(over on one side and under on the
> other...try changing the speed of Z axis or
> limiting the firmware to a speed you know your
> machine can run.
>
> Z wobble would be inconsistant misalligned layers.

Z wobble would be inconsistant misalligned layers.

In other words, it will be consistent. So you could check if thats the problem, I personally think it's that.
May 28, 2013 04:26PM
It looks very much like Z wobble to me, hold the print up to the Z screw and see if the spacing matched the screw pitch, it most likely will.
The A0-101 still has Igus bushings on the Z axis?
I used the same bushings on my Mendel Max for a while, and could not get rid of the ZWobble I had, the bushings are self aligning, and seem to be pre-disposed to moving with any wobble in the screw. I tried a lot of things, but in the end the only thing that worked was printing new Xends that didn't use igus bushings.
Given it ships as a complete printer I'd be tempted to talk to Lulzbot and see what they suggest.

My blog [3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]
May 28, 2013 11:18PM
It looks like Z wobble. I'm surprised you are seeing it to that extreme on an AO-101.

Here's a nice article about Z artifacts in general:

[www.evernote.com]

It isn't just one thing--there are a lot of variables involved, each which need to be tuned out. We improved from the AO-100 to the AO-101 by changing the x-end clamps. We improved from the AO-101 to TAZ by making the threaded rod *much smaller*, the smooth rod bigger, using a simple hose coupler (we tested lots, and ala Josef Prusa, this works very well), and we have a nut trap that can move. The idea being that the whole thing submits to the straightness of the smooth rod. So even if the threaded rod is bent (and we tested with deliberately bent rods), the output is very nice. Also, went metric threaded rods on TAZ (AO-101's ACME rods were the last non-metric part on there).

Another possibility is a loose belt or pulley, but that may not be the case here.

TBH, I don't have a good answer for you. If you had an AO-100, you could upgrade the clamps, but you have those new ones already with AO-101. Do the threaded rods draw big circles when Z is going up & down? Like what's the approximate diameter? It could be that the coupler is holding it way tilted, and it just needs to be straighter up. Maybe a photo of the machine would reveal a clue.

Looking at the part further, I'd be curious how it matches the thread on your rods (just hold the part next to the rod and they may line up perfectly). But that affect doesn't do a kind of plate effect you have there. I was thinking z wobble earlier, but it now I'm thinking there is something else going on. Someone above mentioned the Z maybe not going up (?). Is the coupler perhaps not catching on Z? It looks very similar to Z wobble, but I think something else may be doing it.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 11:19PM by jebba.
May 29, 2013 01:45AM
Here is a photo of the right side of the machine. I haven't touched anything since I received the machine except for the one part that broke, luckily I printed several parts out before that happened
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (480.8 KB)
May 29, 2013 03:46PM
Ok, I fixed it. I removed both lead screws and reseated them. Now prints are coming out like this
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (334.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login