Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice on repairing arduino d10 socket

Posted by ml190 
Advice on repairing arduino d10 socket
July 28, 2013 06:20PM
Please could anyone offer me advice on how I would go about restoring full functionality to my arduino?

I recently bought a kit and built a reprap prusa i3 but since I did not have any previous experience assembling electronics I got an arduino mega 2560 pre-assembled.

While clearing an initial blockage I must have damaged the board as the hotend would no longer heat once everything was hooked up again. After some investigating I found out it was possible to make a change to the firmware and have the hotend powered by the D9 sockets instead of D10.

Everything has been working since then but it is at the expense of the fan that was previously located at D9.

I would really like to get the hotend functioning from D10 again so I can use the fan to help with print quality. I just dont know how to go about locating and repairing the problem. Any advice with this would be much appreciated as I'm worried I could end up causing more problems attempting to fix it on my own.

Thanks
Re: Advice on repairing arduino d10 socket
July 29, 2013 01:10AM
Its your Ramps board you mean.
D10 is soldered on both sides of the board therefore would need a de-soldering station to remove the socket efficiently - I wouldn't fancy using a manual solder sucker. Having said that, it can be removed I would think, if you break up the socket's plastic shell to (hopefully) get to the pins for removal - If you fancy the job that is!

July 29, 2013 01:38PM
Thanks for the reply,

I think I might have poorly described the problem - the socket itself seems fine I just cant get any current to flow from D10.

Everything else functioning correctly and no sign of external damage leads me to think the problem is somewhere else on the board.
Maybe a fuse or other component directly linked to D10, does that sound sensible?
July 29, 2013 06:32PM
Have you measured the voltage on the atmega pin that's connected to D10? If the pin was shorted and you drove current through it, you most likely burned that port out. If that's the case, you would need to replace the microcontroller.
July 30, 2013 05:36PM
Thanks - is this component the microcontroller I would need to replace?

Arduino ATMega328 microcontroller bootloader UNO

while looking around I saw this as well
RepRap Ramps 1.4 Fan Extender

would this be a good way around the problem or would it be better to repair the board?
July 30, 2013 05:51PM
When checking voltage I dont get any reading but when I switched the multimeter to resistance, LED4 on the ramps board momentarily lights up red. does this indicate anything?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login