Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Design a fairly simple 3d printable piece for people with physical disabilities

Posted by calebkraft 
Design a fairly simple 3d printable piece for people with physical disabilities
September 25, 2013 02:19PM
Hey, I'm Caleb Kraft.
I used to run Hackaday.com and as I left, I started thecontrollerproject.com. It is a place for tinkerers to help people with physical disabilities. We basically help build computer/gaming interfaces for them.

I'm running a small contest for a simple part design. Basically, I'm looking for a 3d printable lever system that can move the triggers to the top of the controller.

Here, watch this video to get a better idea.
[www.youtube.com]

I know some of you would be very happy to contribute to the cause, so here's your chance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 02:20PM by calebkraft.
Re: Design a fairly simple 3d printable piece for people with physical disabilities
September 25, 2013 03:17PM
Well done mate, this is like a breath of fresh air, I do not play games so do not have a controller, but would like to be involved for the long term with things like this.

not interested in prizes, more the warm glow from helping others.

Random Precision
Re: Design a fairly simple 3d printable piece for people with physical disabilities
September 25, 2013 03:26PM
Thanks.
I've been focusing my time on finding ways that people can help. Everyone tends to have a skill that can help someone somehow, but they often aren't aware of it. In this contest, I suspect people with basic design skills will shine. I know of 4 people right now that would use this if I could print them a part and mail it to them.

I started designing one myself, but thought that this was a much smarter way to go.
VDX
September 25, 2013 03:40PM
... had some ideas around pneumatic interacting 'pillows' with embedded pressure sensors - the actor sits on them and can move a cursor or pointing device simply by 'moving the ass around' spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Could be enhanced with vibrating elements for force-feedback too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 25, 2013 03:40PM
Maybe it could evolve into something wider than just controllers?, who knows where it may end up.
I shall follow as long as its a non commercial and patent free zone.

P.S tried to sign up for the forum, but no joy.

Random Precision
September 25, 2013 03:44PM
Strange, I just went and created a new account to test it and it worked fine. You don't have to upload things to the forum to compete though, just let me know where you've posted it and you're good!
September 25, 2013 03:55PM
Sorted
clicked the link in the right hand column, "sign up to forum" brings me back to index page, but
help build or ask takes me to the forum.

Random Precision
September 26, 2013 08:45AM
Have you posted this on GrabCAD? Pretty sure a lot of 3d modelers would be willing to tackle this competition.
September 26, 2013 09:23AM
I have not! I wish there was a way to spread it to all the thingiverse people as well, but then I'd be a tiny bit concerned about makerbot somehow "owning" it.
September 27, 2013 05:03PM
I have to say this to me is one of the areas where I think 3D printers can be most useful. People with disabilities often need prosthetics that are custom fitted for them at huge cost. They say George Washington had a set of wooden teeth. I'd bet a set of 3D printed ones would work a lot better, and you could print a new set when they wear out. My brother in law has one short leg due to an auto accident and wedge in his shoe to compensate. The Lions club collects old glasses which can't be reused in this country because of a a law supported by the optical industry. So they are shipped overseas. Now with the right lens you can print a frame to fit the recipient. You are missing a hand and have a prosthetic one. How about printed end effectors that are interchangeable to allow you to do various tasks that maybe a person with a real hand couldn't even do?
October 17, 2013 05:20AM
Any news on this caleb ? Did you have enough submissions or shall we continue talking about it ?

Direct link to your website entry about this : [thecontrollerproject.com]

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 17, 2013 10:01AM
I've gotten 2 functional entries and declaired them both winners.

http://thecontrollerproject.com/ifixit-controller-contest-winner-1/

http://thecontrollerproject.com/ifixit-controller-contest-winner-2/

I could always use more (I can give away 3 more kits from ifixit).

I personally want to make a simple 3d printable version of #2 but haven't had the time.
October 17, 2013 04:21PM
I got a tiny bit of time and popped this out.

[www.youtube.com]

The article on EEtimes.com will be coming soon.
October 23, 2013 11:37AM
as a quad myself i have been wanting to do this for a while. these are such a simple ideas my ideas were much more complicated. i did make a mod for wii controllers that basically connected the 2 controllers together to make it more like an xbox controller. my nieces have the wii at the moment ill try and post pics when they bring i back.

one thing to add would be to have them lock in place like for crouching.

thanks cool project this is one of the reason i got a 3d printer to make aids to make it easier to do things
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login