Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

J-Head Mk V-BV filament tolerances

Posted by RLOPrint 
J-Head Mk V-BV filament tolerances
October 21, 2013 04:37PM
I am currently using a J-Head Mk V-BV 3mm hot end. I want to start printing with Polypropylene, but the only companies in the U.S. that carry that material generally carry it in 1/8in or roughly 3.175mm. My question is if that is this hot end able to handle this type of dimension successfully?

Thank you in advance!
Re: J-Head Mk V-BV filament tolerances
October 21, 2013 04:59PM
the ptfe bores on genuine jheads acording to the wiki are 1/8th in diameter, so probably not,

it would be very hard to replace the liner with a 3.5mm id one though

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

October 23, 2013 04:45AM
If the bore is too small for a 3.175mm filament, is there a possibility that a 2.38mm filament could work in a 3mm Hot end?
October 23, 2013 05:08AM
maybe depends on the filament, the only real way to know is to try it out

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

A2
October 23, 2013 07:45AM
I've welded a fair amount of polypropylene by hand, and I don't think it's suited for 3d printing, but I could be wrong?
PP has a watery attribute, which makes it difficult to stay in one place.
I image that the glass transition temperature is not suited for 3d printing, but I have not studied this.

I did find some vendors selling PP.
[reprap.org]

I searched for an image of a 3d filament printed part but nothing came up.
I would like to see this work, is there an example?

You should change your title to include the word polypropylene so it can be found in a search.
A2

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 07:49AM by A2.
October 23, 2013 09:50AM
I suspect there is a way to print PP, if you really want to pursue this, PM me. I will make the parts you need.
October 23, 2013 11:15AM
People have printed with PP before (Bogdan Kecman IIRC). I think it warps even worse than HDPE and is also quite elastic when molten so you tend to have to overshoot the actual position you want it. I.e. it needs large infill perimeter overlap and I think the Stretch module in Skeinforge was inspired by it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 11:17AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login