Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware Reprap using atmega16 and AVR studio GCC

Posted by carlos martins 
Hi friends. I`m building my reprap and when I start to work with electronic devices, I see that uses arduino sanguino and pic. But I want to work with atmel, because AVR studio is free and extremelly cheap ($4.00 digikey price) and Arduino ($$29.95 sparkfun). Then to improve this I would like to work with atmega and AVR studio with C code open. Where Can I find C code of Reprap?

Reprap is freem then everyone need to work together and improve this machine...
Re: Firmware Reprap using atmega16 and AVR studio GCC
September 13, 2009 01:29AM
The Arduino's and Sanguino already use the Atmel devices.

The Arduino environment is terrible, in my opinion, and on my next project that will have to use an Arduino board, it will be coded with C.

Th Arduino's are programmed in a C++ variant, as they are marketing their product for the beginner to intermediate level of builders, who may not understand all the workings of C or C++ but would like a good foundation.
That's the problem with Arduino's that I personally don't like, as it teaches bad programming habits, and it threw me out completely when I started to prgram, and wondered why void main (); function didn't want to work.

I too would personally like to see the Arduino programmed directly in C, and maybe someone here can translate Arduino to embedded C
Sure, arduino is a Atmega with bootloader installed. But this is very bad, because you need to buy a Arduino Chip is extremelly expensive compared with atmega CHIP.

I want to find code because this mode is possible I implement using ATMEL ( good option ) or DSP (TI).
The reprap association need to open C code of reprap or inform all code in C arduino codification, this mode is ppossible I convert all code to C and use this in atmel
Re: Firmware Reprap using atmega16 and AVR studio GCC
September 14, 2009 02:54AM
Just to clarify to anyone else reading this, You're referring to ATMEL AVR studio?

You don't need to buy an Arduino chip, you can use any chip you like, just that the RepRap design is designed for the Arduino board.

Well it isn't made clear on the site or wiki that the code for the RepRap is an Arduino derivative of embedded C, and i'm not sure who you could ask in the core group to break it down into true embedded C.

Also you can keep the bootloader as is, just the main code needs changing to be absolutely clear what is happening

PS, DSP isn't TI, its a method of signal processing
[en.wikipedia.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login