Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How fast should a RepStrap run?

Posted by Nightwork 
How fast should a RepStrap run?
September 15, 2009 03:23AM
I am about to print my first parts this weekend and have a question about the speed of my RepStrap. I have been building a CNC router for a while now and since it is just about complete I decided to mount the extruder head onto it to print parts to build a RepRap. However, I am curious if it will be able to move quick enough to print parts effectively.

I am using a 200 step / revolution motor, with a half stepping controller. The motor is connected to a 1/2"-10 acme screw. (Ten turns per inch screw). So it takes 4000 steps per inch of travel. I have tested my machine and it runs fine at 10 inches per minute. I might be able to bump that up a little, but I lose torque at higher frequencies and at some point it become to high a frequency for the motor and controller.

Is 10 inches / min of travel fast enough to print parts?

Thanks in advance,
Nightwork
Re: How fast should a RepStrap run?
September 15, 2009 05:26AM
That is about 4mm/s, which will work, but not very quickly.

I get 16mm/s extrusion with 40mm/s moves and some Darwin parts take about 4 hours each and 100 hours in total.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 15, 2009 05:45AM
nophead,

Thanks for the response. It is nice to have an idea of what speed I should shoot for. I am still trying to figure out a way to up my speed. Does anyone know what the maximum frequency the average 200 step / revolution stepper motor can handle. I am not sure where the bottle neck is at.

Nightwork
VDX
September 15, 2009 06:14AM
... my 1.8°-steppers with 2Amps (@60V-f/h, @30V-microstepping) can drive safe until 2kHz with fullstep, 5kHz with halfstep and until 10kHz with microstepping (max. steprate of my controller/drivers eye rolling smiley ).

So with direct driving and a 5mm/rev-spindle i have 50mm/s @full-, 62.5mm/s @half- and the same speed at 1/4- and every slower (but more accurate) at higher microstepping-ratio ...

Viktor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2009 06:16AM by VDX.
September 15, 2009 11:53PM
Viktor,

Thanks for your numbers. I guess I am running my motors at about the correct values. I should have choose a acme screw with less turns per inch. I thought the motor would be able to run at much higher RPM then it can. It shouldn't be too hard to upgrade to a different screw. But for now I will try running my machine at the slow speeds. If I can print enough parts to make my first RepRap it will be worth it.

Nightwork
September 16, 2009 12:22PM
Viktor (et al)

Interesting speed numbers. What drivers are you using that can handle 60 volts for full/half step? That's considerably (5x) higher than the 12 volt rail used by the stock reprap stepper boards (both current and prev generations) and a bit higher than the H-bridge chips I've used to date.
I'm looking for a different power supply so I can try running my steppers faster.

-- Larry

Larry Pfeffer,

My blog about building repstrap Cerberus:
[repstrap-cerberus.blogspot.com]
VDX
September 16, 2009 02:38PM
Hi Larry,

... its an Isel C-142 controller which is capable of 6A@70V and 10 kHz maximum steprate.

Additionally i have three IMS-1/256-microstepping-drivers with 3A@30V, and max. 10 kHz too, which i can exchange with the Isel drivers for higher accuracy.

In my 'scrapery' there are some IMT901-drivers and a SMC11 from nanotec - all 2A@30V and 1/8 microstepping with more than 10 kHz.

My controllers are the Isel-interfacecard with its own software and CAD/CAM, an Arduino mega and some AtMega168-boards i'm combining for lasercutting, milling and dispenser-fabbing with the CNC-mill and different toolheads ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login