Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Resolution along X and Y vs Z: are belts precise enough?

Posted by cristian 
Re: Resolution along X and Y vs Z: are belts precise enough?
May 29, 2015 08:05PM
Excellent! Can we get a measurement of the pitch? 1mm would be a smoking gun I think (each side of the bearing, assuming out of phase and 2mm pitch belt).
May 29, 2015 08:10PM
AndrewBCN
I guess I will have to test a couple of toothed pulleys in one of my printers to verify this. Here is a vertical flat surface and indeed, one can see a very faint vertical wave pattern. I confess I never paid any attention to this because the vertical wave pattern cannot be felt by running a fingernail along the surface, contrarily to the horizontal pattern formed by the layers themselves:

That is exactly the pattern I was referring to, which does not depend on vibration following direction changes. If you have the chance to do such a test, I would be thankful if you may post online the results too.

the_digital_dentist
I have a 0.25mm nozzle that I'll put on the machine one of these days and then I'll calibrate the extruder at 20 or 50 um and try a small print.

Probably it would make sense to add some objects with flat surfaces to the test, given the picture posted by AndrewBCN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 08:17PM by cristian.
May 29, 2015 08:16PM
AndrewBCN
@ Viktor,

Interesting!

I guess I will have to test a couple of toothed pulleys in one of my printers to verify this. Here is a vertical flat surface and indeed, one can see a very faint vertical wave pattern. I confess I never paid any attention to this because the vertical wave pattern cannot be felt by running a fingernail along the surface, contrarily to the horizontal pattern formed by the layers themselves:

how fast are your perimeters?

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

May 29, 2015 08:17PM
cristian
But belts are elastic, no matter how taut they are.

Even steel is somewhat elastic, and the entire frame of a 3D printer vibrates, sometimes even resonates, when printing. I am aware of that. Also as you yourself acknowledge, imperfections in print, among other things lack of resolution/precision, can originate from a myriad of different factors.

All I am saying is that GT2 belt driven linear motion systems can hardly be considered to be at the top of the list of factors that contribute to a lack of precision of a 3D printer, given the current stage of development of 3d printing / FDM technology. I agree with jollygrimreaper here, I don't think GT2 belts are worth you worrying about at this stage. But of course it always makes for an interesting discussion!
May 29, 2015 08:20PM
JamesK
Excellent! Can we get a measurement of the pitch? 1mm would be a smoking gun I think (each side of the bearing, assuming out of phase and 2mm pitch belt).

James, I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, it's 2 am here in Barcelona and there is clearly not enough light for a good shot!
May 29, 2015 08:22PM
thejollygrimreaper
how fast are your perimeters?

I believe that X motor end was printed @ 45mm/s for perimeters, with 35% infill.
May 29, 2015 08:26PM
cristian
AndrewBCN

That is exactly the pattern I was referring to, which does not depend on vibration following direction changes. If you have the chance to do such a test, I would be thankful if you may post online the results too.

I will certainly post the before/after pictures, but note that it will take me some time to schedule the switch from flat to toothed pulleys on my next printer build.
May 29, 2015 08:28PM
AndrewBCN
Even steel is somewhat elastic

Definitely true, but several orders of magnitude less than a belt I guess...

AndrewBCN
All I am saying is that GT2 belt driven linear motion systems can hardly be considered to be at the top of the list of factors that contribute to a lack of precision of a 3D printer, given the current stage of development of 3d printing / FDM technology. I agree with jollygrimreaper here, I don't think GT2 belts are worth you worrying about at this stage. But of course it always makes for an interesting discussion!

Theoretically I agree, while practically I was just looking for an empirical proof of that, and I think we are getting close. Nevertheless I think you will agree with me that even if GT2 belts are fine for their job, there are many bad designs and caveats (some of which have been mentioned in this thread) that one should be aware of, to exploit belts properly...

AndrewBCN
I will certainly post the before/after pictures, but note that it will take me some time to schedule the switch from flat to toothed pulleys on my next printer build.
No problem, thank you in any case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 08:29PM by cristian.
May 29, 2015 10:23PM
i printed off the same object changing only the perimeter speeds,

the back two are at 60mm/sec
the front one is 10mm/sec

you can see the vertical ridges lining up roughly where in the infil connects to the perimeter, i think based on this that the vertical ridges are a product of (1) the perimeter speed (2) the infil density (3) and also the number of perimeters as more perimeters would mitigate any effect from the infill

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

May 30, 2015 03:14AM
As an alternative to a toothed idler, you can put a half twist in the return run of the belt and then run the back of the belt around the idler.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 30, 2015 03:54AM
Sometimes it isn't the belt. You could try to reduce just the acceleration of your x and y-axis.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
May 30, 2015 07:54AM
thejollygrimreaper
you can see the vertical ridges lining up roughly where in the infil connects to the perimeter, i think based on this that the vertical ridges are a product of (1) the perimeter speed (2) the infil density (3) and also the number of perimeters as more perimeters would mitigate any effect from the infill

This is a good point. 45° rectilinear infill with few perimeters may also be a cause for equispaced vertical stripes. Then a good test would be without infill at all (or infill with different angles).
VDX
May 30, 2015 09:47AM
... this 'tension-displacement'-waves will be a bit more noticeable when printing diagonal instead of along one axis.

If printing only along X or Y, then you'll get faint speed changes, so you'll see the effect of changing extrusion volume per time - when diagonal, then you'll add real displacement, so the waves should be better visible.

And for testing, you can print without infill, so the infill won't influence the perimeter ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 30, 2015 09:55AM
I'll post a few more pictures later today, but I have already examined a few more printed objects with vertical walls.

I can see the very faint regular waves in a few of them. However, I can see much more clearly some vertical patterns in low infill objects. In all cases when these waves are visible, I am using some blue PLA filament which is a little bit translucent, and as I wrote before, these wave patterns do not really translate into noticeable surface irregularities, so right now I am undecided between the two possible explanations (infill-related or "belt teeth on flat pulleys"-related, but one thing I am quite confident about, is that these wave patterns are nothing much to worry about, compared to our other printing issues!

For example, I am much more worried about changing to another spool of filament and the changes in print quality and the adjustments I'll have to make to the printer/slicer settings! eye popping smiley
May 30, 2015 10:35AM
AndrewBCN
For example, I am much more worried about changing to another spool of filament and the changes in print quality and the adjustments I'll have to make to the printer/slicer settings! eye popping smiley

Sure, but that is for another thread! smiling smiley
May 30, 2015 10:44AM
thejollygrimreaper

Looking at the picture more carefully, I can count at least 16 infill rows on the long side, but not more than 13 ridges on the external surface of the same side: apparently it is not the same pitch. Since the amplitude of ridges depends on speed, it may come from any kind of vibration in the structure of the machine, including the vibration caused by belts teeth. But if they disappear at low speed, then it is something I may live with.
May 30, 2015 01:26PM
OK, my next few posts are a few pics which I just shot this afternoon. Note that not all objects have been printed recently, but they have all been printed on the same P3Steel (a Prusa i3 variant with a very rigid 3mm lasercut steel frame) which uses GT2 belts for the X and Y axis.

Let us begin with a shot of a part I printed recently using an opaque, nasty green PLA:

(click on the image below for the 1280 pixels wide version)

That one particularly makes me question both the "infill" and "belt teeth on smooth pulleys" theories, as there is no sign of a wave here, imo! confused smiley
May 30, 2015 01:34PM
This one is a 10% infill test print. I think the pattern is quite obviously infill-related and not belt teeth related.
But if you look closely you'll notice some very, very faint vertical waves with a small pitch. Again, confused smiley

May 30, 2015 01:38PM
what perimeter speeds were they done at ?

May 30, 2015 01:45PM
Next, a couple of prints with zero infill. Honestly I don't see any vertical waves here on this one:

And something too faint to call a wave on this one:

This one in particular makes me say that yes, the "belt teeth on smooth pulley" effect may be there, but it can be ignored as far as I am concerned! smoking smiley
May 30, 2015 01:46PM
thejollygrimreaper
what perimeter speeds were they done at ?

IIRC they were all printed with 45mm/s perimeter speed or whereabouts.
May 30, 2015 01:54PM
This one was printed in red PLA, that was a very good spool of filament which resulted in many good prints with similar quality to this one:

And as you can see, no waves. I believe the infill was 40% here and perimeter speed, as usual, around 45mm/s.
May 30, 2015 02:21PM
Another one that I can't quite figure out. Again, note this blue PLA is slightly translucent, so the wave pattern may be simply due to an optical effect as a result of the rectilinear 45 degrees infill (40% in this case).

May 30, 2015 02:28PM
Have you considered the possibility that the small waves are due to the extruder motor steps? Is it a direct drive extruder or is it geared?
May 30, 2015 03:22PM
the_digital_dentist
Have you considered the possibility that the small waves are due to the extruder motor steps? Is it a direct drive extruder or is it geared?

That P3Steel has a standard Greg's Wade's Geared extruder. I do have another Prusa i3 with a Bowden/direct drive extruder that I can test... tomorrow! cool smiley
May 30, 2015 04:33PM
Thank you for the pictures. I see stripes almost everywhere eye popping smiley except in the central part of the orange piece. I think it is unlikely that a geared extruder (or an extruder in general) may cause perfectly vertical stripes, they should be inclined and shifted every time the "shape" of the layer changes with respect to the previous one, but of course only a proper test can tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 04:37PM by cristian.
May 30, 2015 11:09PM
Did you test reducing the acceleration? Which values do you have for it?

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
May 31, 2015 01:18AM
the_digital_dentist
Here are some microscope photos of some vases I recently printed

OMG where do I get this?????? spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smiley

baby steps ... baby steps smiling smiley
May 31, 2015 03:53AM
Those vertical patterns can also be a result of the lm8uu bearings rattling along. I´d say, that these bearings cause much more issues in Prusa-world than GT2 pulleys.
Although I´ll try to change my smooth idlers with toothed ones, to see any improvement.
-Olaf
May 31, 2015 11:10AM
Here is a calibration object I printed when I was calibrating the Bowden / direct drive extruder. As you can see, there is a very, very faint vertical wave pattern:

Again I confirm that this wave pattern does not translate into any measurable/perceptible surface irregularity or texture, whereas the layers themselves can easily be felt by running a fingernail along the surface of the part, and even counted when the macro image is examined carefully at full size.

I will include toothed belt pulleys in my next P3Steel build and will re-examine this issue then, mostly to satisfy my curiosity.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login