Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1 Meter bot project

Posted by oak1477 
Re: 1 Meter bot project
July 21, 2015 01:36PM
the_digital_dentist
Anyone who finds this thread offensive to their sensibilities has the option of simply ignoring it.

thumbs up
August 30, 2015 03:40AM
So it seems, that one critical voice is enough to stop postings in this interesting thread?
Or did they decide to develop further behind closed curtains?

-Olaf sad smiley
August 30, 2015 08:25AM
It was silly that that critical person insisted that this was a closed-source project in the middle of dozens of detailed photos of the machine's construction. If the design were closed-source, this thread wouldn't even exist. His ideas of FDM size limitation seems to be based on models posted to Thingiverse or Youmagine. While he may not have progressed beyond iphone cases, Yoda-heads, and tug boats, there are many of us who create 3D printable objects using CAD software. Our only limitation is the size of the printer we can access.

More demos of the uselessfulness of FDM for anything over 30 cm x 30 cm x 30 cm: 20 big 3D printers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 08:38AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 30, 2015 08:46AM
I didnĀ“t want to start a witch-hunt. Many projects discussed here are not entirely RepRap minded, so what?

Just want to hear more of the progress. Especially the failed and fixed parts...( if exists )
-Olaf
August 30, 2015 08:43PM
Yep,
I may sound a little negative, however my comments are in fact little hints about what they may be doing wrong without a dissertation on it. What you learn on your own sticks much better than what you are taught. So I'd like to see this thread continue as well.
August 31, 2015 05:11AM
Hi,

I'm interested with this build, whatever open or closed source it is.
There's already plenty of closed source builds on this forum anyways.

But I understand what AndrewBCN says in a way.
Even if "useless" is too much and exploration is always exciting.
Large printers exists (concrete, etc.), but it's not about FDM.
We know FDM prints usualy takes hours on our small printers.
We already know the cost of big printed parts, and profitability is another talk.
But what about printing time on large scale models ?

I wonder how long it takes to print a part equals to a quarter
of that printer's capacity, with a 1.2mm nozzle ? I have no idea.
Surely it will take weeks depending of the part's complexity.
So the time consuming, the huge amount of filament devoured by that monster,
the time needed to stop and feed, and the extented risk of a failed print,
certainly talks against large FDM printers compares to other technologies. But who cares ? grinning smiley

As this is an experiment; I share some of Paul Wanamaker's thoughts about motors choice.
To me, to eliminate resonnance issues and minimize print fails risks,
encoded brushless servo motors should be a better choice, at last for XY movements,
with a huge difference on travel times. That may matters a lot !
And I gess the printer's price range will allow to use them.

Othehand, the build looks great. oak1477, you're lucky to work on a project like that.
I like a lot of details, like the aluminium machining, the belt closing/tensioning system.
Keep on exciting us ! winking smiley

++JM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 05:13AM by J-Max.
September 08, 2015 02:18PM
Hey guys sorry it been so long since you have heard anything from me. I have running all over the place, and now getting settled back into college. I am glad to see that people still want to see more of this project, it has been so amazing to work on this, It is still being worked on but we recently had an influx in orders and the machining was slowed down due to it. This also left no room in our little office for such a massive bot. The parts were being rebuilt a squared up for final assembly but we had no where to finish putting them together. The feedback has been awesome from the community. Any updates and revisions I have you will be posted here first. Thanks and happy printing.
September 08, 2015 02:27PM
Thanks for the update. Good luck with your next academic year, and I'll look forward to following the progress on the printer whenever you can get back to it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login