Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone know or sells good extruder barrels ??

Posted by Gary Riding 
Anyone know or sells good extruder barrels ??
August 24, 2010 10:03AM
Does anyone know of anybody who sell good extruder barrels, which are strong and ready made ? just ive been having a lot of problem with many of barrels from ebay and other company, and have found that the barrel come away from the ptfe after a number of prints....

if anyone know of anybody or if you sell such a barrel, then please get in touch.. also i am looking for another way of heating the barrel without nichrome heater wire... would be willing to buy a ready made barrell for my mendel if possiable

Gary
Re: Anyone know or sells good extruder barrels ??
August 24, 2010 10:17AM
Try [www.makergear.com] I hear nothing but good on their parts.

thumbs up
August 24, 2010 10:35AM
Hello,

The problem is most likely not the barrels. It is the PTFE thermal barriers. They have a tendency to get soft and cause the system to fail. It is not uncommon for people, using PTFE only thermal barriers, to put something around them in order to prevent them from failing. (i.e. a hose clamp) A PEEK or hybrid thermal barrier does not have this problem as PTFE is not used to support the heater barrel and nozzle.

Regards,

Brian
August 24, 2010 10:43AM
Thank brian... do you know where i could buy one of these from ? or do you have one which you could sell me ? ready made ?

Gary
August 24, 2010 10:51AM
Or you could try my glass nozzles. Still not reported to be working on any reprap machine, But they eliminate the soft plastic thermal break and are a one piece design of borosilicate glass from where they are clamped onto the extruder chassis to where the internal tube narrows down to the actual orifice, typically 0.5mm. Cheaper than most other designs, but so far no reports of testing beyond my hand pushing filament through. In that case, it took less pressure to push more material through a slightly wider opening then it did on the conventional, threaded brass (mig welding tip) into PTFE block. Both were using uninsulated nichrome wire held in place with kapton tape and a thermocouple taped outside of that. Read the thread on glass nozzles if you are interested, and I have several minor variations for sale in the For Sale forum.

Mike
August 24, 2010 11:07AM
PM Sent.

Gary Riding Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank brian... do you know where i could buy one
> of these from ? or do you have one which you could
> sell me ? ready made ?
>
> Gary
Hey Gary -

We have PEEK insulators at MakerGear and we also have ready made hot-ends, if that is what you are looking for. Feel free to contact me with any questions (email, makergear google group, or IRC).

Mike, I've been experimenting with glass for a while
PLA Glasstruder
ABS Glasstruder
and though I like glass, I'm not ready to trade it for PEEK!!

Thanks,
Rick
August 24, 2010 12:32PM
Hi Rick,
I have seen the very short PEEK "compact" insulator on your website. Do you not get a problem with the top getting too hot with it being so short?

Chris

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Hey Chris!

Yes, heat is an issue. We'll have adapters for mounting on existing filament drives and we're releasing a new stepper filament drive to work with the compact hot-end.

Thanks,
Rick
August 24, 2010 09:05PM
Rick, nice pics!
S far, I have not made a glass nozzle that you could see past the heater coil and thermocouple, since I was attaching them with Kapton tape. I will try to make one that you can see inside and show the process. It looks like yours still uses a brass heater/nozzle at the bottom end, and a thermal break at the top. You also have nichrome wire wrapped around the glass even though it is larger in diameter than the filament. Looks like you don't need to wrap the nichrome around the glass, and then you could eliminate the thermal break.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login