Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Host software... Is it working right or not? (Windows 7 64-bit)

Posted by elgin.owens 
Host software... Is it working right or not? (Windows 7 64-bit)
December 30, 2010 11:10PM
I'm hoping someone can take a look at the screen shots that I have attached and let me know what you think is going on here. The screen shots are of the CMD window from the reprap host software.

The first image, titled "reprap comms debug", is showing what I get when I plug the motherboard in and run the host software. The second image titled "reprap error", is showing what I get when I plug the mb in, run the host software, exit the host software, and then try to run the host software for a second time.

The problem that I see in the first image, is that even though I have comms debug enabled, the scrolling doesn't continue as expected. When I was running the host software on my xp machine, the comms debug would just keep scrolling continuosly, now while running Windows 7 64-bit, the comms debug goes a half dozen lines and then it just stops, without giving any errors. It seams like everything is working fine, because there are no errors given, but I find it strange that it doesn't keep scrolling as expected. Does any one know if this is normal for the 64-bit version to stop scrolling?

The other wierd thing that I have noticed, is that when I exit the host software and then try to run it again without unpluging the reprap motherboard usb cable, then the second time it doesn't run like the first time. The second time it gives me some strange errors about a "dud response: rs 3 serial error: linenumber (0) is not last + 1 (0)". Does any one know what's the deal with this? Do I really need to unplug / re-plug the usb cable everytime I exit/restart the host software?

Thanks,

Elgin
Attachments:
open | download - reprap comms debug.jpg (116.8 KB)
open | download - Reprap Error.jpg (114.7 KB)
Re: Host software... Is it working right or not? (Windows 7 64-bit)
December 31, 2010 01:25AM
While I'm not familiar with this problem, I can vouch that version 20100806 of the host software will run on windows 7 64bit. Although, I'm pretty sure I'm using 32bit java and python. I don't think any of my reprap applications are actually running in 64bit mode. It has been a while since I did the install, but I distinctly remember having trouble with the makerbot back when I tried using 64bit java and ReplicatorG to run it. I'm thinking I just skipped right to installing 32bit versions when I was setting up the reprap stuff.

I noticed that in the first message, your extruder temperature is reported as 2 degrees. At room temperature, it should read more like 18 to 25 degrees. I assume you do not have a heated bed? If not, then it would be normal to see -39 for the other tempurature. Do you have an extruder connected? If it is connected, this probably indicates that something is wired wrong or not making good contact. It probably won't help with this problem, but it will have to be fixed none the less before you start printing.

If all else fails and there are no further suggestions, you might try uninstalling any java versions you have, delete all your reprap host stuff, and start over with the installation.
December 31, 2010 12:09PM
I should have mentioned that I'm only bench testing at this point, so there is not an extruder/heated bed attached at this point. You mentioned something about a program called Python, I'm not familiar with that one so I'll have to do some research and get that installed. It's good that you mentioned the 32-bit verison of Java. I tried switching from Java version 6 back to Java version 5 and couldn't get anything to work with version 5 installed. Reprap was giving errors about java not being a reconginzed command, so I ended up swithching back to version 6. I believe that I have installed both the 64-bit and the 32-bit versions of Java installed. Which version of Java would you commend that I install? Version 5 or 6, 64-bit or 32-bit, and JRE or JDK? Also you mentioned that version 20100806 of the host software is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit, is that version of the host software the 32-bit or the 64-bit?

That's probably good advice to just uninstall all the Java and Reprap Host software and then just start over witht he installation.

I just noticed that there is a forum specific for questions about the Host software, could a moderator move this discussion to the correct forum or should I just repost the question in the appropriate section of the forum?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 01:49PM by elgin.owens.
December 31, 2010 09:47PM
If a moderator doesn't move the message, you should maybe give it a week or so to see if any new replies come along before starting a new thread.

Python is only needed for skeinforge. I highly recomend using skeinforge to make your Gcode instead of using the reprap host. You loose the ability to manually position and combine STLs on the build plate, but skeinforge will slice the STLs more intelligently and I think it is easier to configure. In fact, you might want to try using send.py to send the gcode and only use the reprap host for manual printer control.

As far as 64 vrs 32bit, I'm not aware of a 64bit reprap host. Java applications are not like normal binaries. They run through the java run time environment, so it could be dependent on which version of the java run time you use. I have done a bit of java programming before, but I never had to deal with 32/64bit compatibility so I didn't have reason to study how this is accomplished.

I am using java 6 update 20 without any problem. I did have to edit the .bat file that launches the reprap host though. When java installed, I don't think it set a path in the system environment variables. Every time I ran the .bat file, it would not find the java run time.The JDK is only for people that want to program java applications. All you need to run them is the JRE.
January 01, 2011 03:26PM
For what it's worth, I had the exact same problem (this post was the first hit on a google search for the error). Likewise running Win7 64bit, 64bit JRE update 23, and RepRap 64bit 20100719.

Switching to 32bit JRE u23 and RepRap 32bit solved the debug output issue for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 04:01PM by StickyC.
January 01, 2011 10:38PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I got it working! Now it continues scrolling as expected. I ended up going with what StickyC recomended.

Here's what I did, downloaded/installed the 32-bit Reprap Host software, removed all versions of Java and then only reinstalled the Java 6 update 23 32-bit version.

When I attempted to run the .bat file to start Reprap, I got the following errors;
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
"if ERRORLEVEL 1 pause"
Press any key to continue...

Then I remebered that it is necessary to set the PATH enviromental variable manually. Note: When you follow that link to the java site it is giving you instructions to set the PATH variable for JDK instead of JRE. Since we are actually trying to set the PATH for JRE, the instructions we kind of confusing. I ended up figuring out that it is the same procedure as described, except on my machine the correct PATH for JRE was "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin" instead of what they had, "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_\bin".

Hopefully this will help future Reprappers figure out how to get the Host Software working on their Windows 7 64-bit machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 10:53PM by elgin.owens.
Thank you StickyC and Elgin, Reprap works with 32bit JRE on Win 7 64bit. I have actually installed JRE 7.
October 16, 2011 09:36PM
It does actually run in 64bit mode you just have to make certain you get all of the right dll's and put them in the correct place which is a bit tricky. But it does work.
I have just finished building my printer and am now trying to get the Host software to work without success. I have Win 7 64bit, I downloaded "Java JRE Update 29 Winx64" and "reprap-mendal - 20111019". I tried to set the PATH environmental variable manually (c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin)(no success). I would be interested to hear more details on what you did. Cam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login