Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Commercial use of RepRap ideas

Posted by Lykle 
Re: Commercial use of RepRap ideas
October 20, 2016 12:32PM
On another forum some years ago there was a thread about the change in U.S. patents from "first to invent" to "first to file". The point often made was that the first to invent something did not materially change "the state of the art" unless that invention was known to a significant (although possibly small) number of people.

The best way to prevent ideas developed by the RepRap community from being patented by an outside body is for those ideas to be widely distributed. Adoption of the WTFPL [wtfpl2.com] would encourage copying and thus bring RepRap community ideas well into being part of "the state of the art".

Mike
October 20, 2016 04:06PM
leadinglights
On another forum some years ago there was a thread about the change in U.S. patents from "first to invent" to "first to file". The point often made was that the first to invent something did not materially change "the state of the art" unless that invention was known to a significant (although possibly small) number of people.

The best way to prevent ideas developed by the RepRap community from being patented by an outside body is for those ideas to be widely distributed. Adoption of the WTFPL [wtfpl2.com] would encourage copying and thus bring RepRap community ideas well into being part of "the state of the art".

Mike

With respect, "Do what the f*** you want to with this idea" does not exclude patenting it. smiling smiley
October 21, 2016 01:13PM
DragonFire
leadinglights

Mike

With respect, "Do what the f*** you want to with this idea" does not exclude patenting it. smiling smiley

No, but if it has become part of the "state of the art" then it can't be patented. Releasing a new idea under a more restrictive license limits the number of people who copy it thus making it more likely that somebody else will patent it.

Mike
VDX
October 21, 2016 04:34PM
... IIRC there is one year "uncertainity periode", where another can try to file a patent for your idea with the "first to file" option in the USA -- with some "luck" it will get through eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 22, 2016 04:08AM
leadinglights
DragonFire
leadinglights

Mike

No, but if it has become part of the "state of the art" then it can't be patented. Releasing a new idea under a more restrictive license limits the number of people who copy it thus making it more likely that somebody else will patent it.

Mike

Releasing something and stating "Do what the f*** you want with this idea" does not specifically make it "state of the art" as such. It is a public disclosure, and I understand patents will not be granted if there is evidence of a public disclosure - but seriously, do you think WIPO are going to bother including the site on a patent search? Or any of the 140 countries where you can apply for a WIPO international Patent?

Not many, and certainly not all of them.
October 22, 2016 09:45AM
There is no protection for IP without money to pay the lawyers. It doesn't matter if you have a patent. If you don't have the $ to defend it, anyone can do whatever they want with your ideas.

If you want to keep your design secret, don't put it on the internet and don't file for a patent. If you want to share it, post it on the internet. If you want to share but restrict use, keep dreaming...

OTOH, if you're an engineer, almost nothing looks better on your resume than having a patent or two in your name. HR people and hiring managers go nutz over that stuff. You can consider filing for a patent an investment in your engineering career that will make getting the next job easier and may even add a little to your income. It doesn't matter if anyone infringes on it, you can still add it to your resume.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 22, 2016 10:17AM
the_digital_dentist
There is no protection for IP without money to pay the lawyers. It doesn't matter if you have a patent. If you don't have the $ to defend it, anyone can do whatever they want with your ideas.

If you want to keep your design secret, don't put it on the internet and don't file for a patent. If you want to share it, post it on the internet. If you want to share but restrict use, keep dreaming...

Unless you can afford lawyers, of course. tongue sticking out smiley

Actually you are quite right, and in some countries, you don't so much need lawyers as friendly relations with local warlords... some places don't go in for "lawyers" much.

Those are issues of power, and control.

the_digital_dentist
OTOH, if you're an engineer, almost nothing looks better on your resume than having a patent or two in your name. HR people and hiring managers go nutz over that stuff. You can consider filing for a patent an investment in your engineering career that will make getting the next job easier and may even add a little to your income. It doesn't matter if anyone infringes on it, you can still add it to your resume.

Speaking from a social and society perspective, you are quite right.

Writing from the personal perspective on these issues... Resume? HR People? EMPLOYMENT? WAGE SLAVERY?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Either you work for yourself or you work for the rich, in a capitalist plutocratic society based around banking and "money", a virtual currency based on trust. Trust? Bankers? ME? No way. It's bad enough trusting lawyers, a necessary evil for solving disputes without bloodshed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2016 10:21AM by DragonFire.
October 22, 2016 10:20AM
I'm not a religious person, but this seems appropriate:

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 22, 2016 10:43AM
the_digital_dentist
I'm not a religious person, but this seems appropriate:

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Och, it disnae sounds like that do me, pal. Just my opinion. smiling smiley
October 22, 2016 11:34AM
I still wonder at the things I read here and marvel at the wisdom and humor shown.

For me, I wish I still thought about design with childish abandon. Quite often they are the best ideas.
For now, I am thinking of a new hot end idea.
Will need to do some tests before I start sharing here. See if it is even possible.

But simply too busy at the moment with the Kickstarter campaign to dive into the workshop and make the first tests.

But, back to the subject at hand, I agree, a patent without money to protect just costs money. That is why I didn't renew mine. Just no point.
But similarly, I think that whatever license form you use, GNU, or otherwise, that also is useless unless you can back it up.

Lykle

Co-creator of the Zesty Nimble, worlds lightest Direct Drive extruder.
[zesty.tech]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login