Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin Firmware and Closed Loop Stepper Motor

Posted by delfindelfin 
Marlin Firmware and Closed Loop Stepper Motor
June 19, 2019 10:30AM
This is my first time on this forums and this might be a dumb question, but does Marlin Firmware supports Closed Loop Stepper Motor control?
VDX
Re: Marlin Firmware and Closed Loop Stepper Motor
June 19, 2019 11:26AM
... if your CL-driver is controlled by STEP+DIR, then it's no difference to normal steppers -- have a CNC-mill with CL-servos, controlled by a "normal" stepper-controller without any further modifications ... the controller are UHU-drivers, reads the encoders from the brushed DC motors, and control them corresponding to the received "step-pulses".

Got recently some mechaduinos, what's too a CL-driver fors steppers, with a magnet on the axis ... and can be controlled either by software, or by "STEP+DIR" ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org]
Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 19, 2019 02:34PM
Well, I don't have closed loop driver .. I was thinking in using an optical encoder .. And then make some modifications in the firmware if it is not supported

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 03:12PM by delfindelfin.
VDX
June 19, 2019 04:17PM
... look a bit closer into "closed-loop drivers" - it's mostly a microcontroller, reading the optical encoder and moving/holding the motor (stepper by stepping or DC-motor by voltage controlling) to or at a defined position.

The "STEP+DIR"-types of CL-drivers (as the Mechaduino) behaves identically to a common stepper-driver (as Pololu) -- you only have to wire the optical encoder to the CL-board ...

Viktor
--------
June 19, 2019 04:43PM
So, do I need both? The closed loop driver and the optical encoder? I have just bought one optical encoder like this:

I don't know anything about closed-loop drivers, tough .. But I have heard about mechaduino

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 04:46PM by delfindelfin.
VDX
June 19, 2019 06:05PM
... an optical encoder generates pulses when rotating - in my CNC-mill with STEP+DIR-servocontrollers are optical encoders with 500 lines/rev, so 2000 pulses per full turn on 5mm-spindles, what's enough for a "step-resolution" of 0.0025mm and speeds of up to 150mm/s.

The mechaduinos have a "magnetic sensor" and a magnet fixed to the motor shaft to get the angular position ...

Viktor
--------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login