Getting started
April 18, 2008 07:53PM
Hello, Denver area RepRappers!

My first "Seedling" parts are starting to show up, and I thought it was time to kick off this forum. I'm sure I will have many questions, but I have what I hope is an easy one to start: Is it possible to upload pictures or other files to this forum?

I'm embarking on this project with relatively little relevant experience. I used to build electronics projects, some reasonably complicated, but nothing like that since my first kid ten years ago. I'm a computational biology professor during the day, so I can probably handle the CS stuff, although I haven't done much low-level interface stuff. I also don't have a lot of experience assembling mechanical things or working with metal or plastic, but ya gotta start somewhere.

Two friends say they want to participate, as does my 10 year old. So I at least have company! Our rough goal is to build a repStrap, and then use it to make a Darwin (or whatever is current by the time we finish our repStrap).

I'm in the process of setting up shop, so to speak -- basically from zero. I'm starting with just a little space in the basement, and an aging tool kit. First task is getting ahold of decent small workbench, a vice and a new hacksaw....

Larry
Now we have a blog
April 18, 2008 08:51PM
I've put up a blog where I can publish pictures, too. It's [web.mac.com] Check it out.
Re: Getting started
June 01, 2008 04:28AM
Hi there! I'm also based out of Denver, and I'm interested in your progress. I checked out your blog, and I think it's really neat what you're doing. Let's get in touch.

~~~~
[phyco.org]
June 04, 2008 12:34PM
Hello, I also live in denver, and am very seriously interested in building a reprap. I don't have too much experience in the mechanical aspect,, but have a nimble mind and a willingness to learn as I go. Repraps don't seem overly complicated, though I'm sure there's some finer nuances that I'll butt heads with...

Larry Hunter: I'm jealous of the workspace you've set up, I'll be hacking away at this thing on my kitchen table, a mobile work bench in the living room and the sidewalk out front of my apartment.

As soon as get the seed parts, I'll post back on my progress.
February 05, 2009 05:25PM
So do you guys have yours built yet? I'm also in Denver and would love to come check out one of these up close. Seriously considering building one as well.
February 06, 2009 11:31AM
Well, not me. Got stalled on parenting and work responsibilities, but would love to get back to it. Maybe we should all get together sometime.

Larry
January 10, 2010 08:08PM
Im based in Loveland. I would like to get a RepRap or a Makerbot machine built someday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 06:36AM by keen101.
May 06, 2010 01:51AM
Id like to build this. Im an unemployed army reservist with plenty of time on my hands. Someone help me get started!
April 27, 2011 12:57PM
Hi everyone!
I'm in the process of building a prusa. I'm in boulder. The last post was quite a while ago in this forum. Is there anyone around that has a reprap or is still building one? I know of the one down at club workshop, but I'm not sure who is in charge of it. I don't need parts or anything. I'd just like to shoot the shit with someone who has done it before, and possibly see one printing IRL.

For Bone and other people who seem to be having a tough time getting started. Look into the mr kim 1x2. It is a prusa designed to be built out of 1x2" poplar. No molded parts required, and it is designed to be made with a hand saw and a drill press. You can use threaded 5/16 rod from home depot, and scavenge 8mm rods from old printers.

After that, you need 3 or 4 motors (depending on your design) some electronics components, and an arduino. If you aren't pinching pennies, then you can buy pre-assembled electronics, or even a whole kit.

It's hard to really wrap your head around what you need and why before you get into it, so I suggest you start slow and learn as you go!
May 06, 2011 04:38PM
Hey! We've built a few Prusas, Makerbots, a Shapercube and other odds and ends. We're based up in Fort Collins (moving to Loveland shortly). Feel free to contact me if you are in the area and interested in checking things out. We're also hiring.

Have fun,

-Jeff Moe
moe@alephobjects.com
Aleph Objects, Inc.
[www.alephobjects.com]
May 31, 2011 05:26PM
We have moved into our new space in Loveland, Colorado. Photos here:

[www.alephobjects.com]

We plan to have an open house on June 18th, 2011. If you are interested in coming, please contact me.

-Jeff Moe
June 27, 2011 11:59AM
Englewood CO

Hi I am starting a prusa I have my hardware here the first thing i bought a SVK Robot kit about 135. bucks. online.
saves me running around wasting gas and yes i can source the parts locally

the printed parts might show up in a few weeks from Canada. Canada Post might still be on strike. I ordered them off eBay.cheep but slow.
the day before the strike started.

I have ordered the hot end Maker-gear and will need to make it fit with the wade extruder more parts or
drill and saw work?

and now i have to go to work more later i hope

sorry if this bores you.

i intend to make a web page and blog but don't wait on me.
December 23, 2011 03:17PM
I am located in Denver, Colorado. Very interested in this project from the very inception. Any chance someone would like to use my CNC machine to mass produce the plastic product? I could possibly trade 3/4 sets for some electronics and motors. email me if this interests you, or if you would let me see your 3d printer in person.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login