Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap under Windows

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
RepRap under Windows
June 02, 2007 09:25PM
I am trying to install the RepRap environment under Windows XP SP2..
JRE is installed
Eclipse is installed
Subclipse is installed * URL needs to be updated to 1.2.x
*Uncheck mylar, I am not sure what this is but subclipse will not install with it checked.
RepRap Java programs installed
Java 3D installed
When trying to run dialog says there are errors run anyway?
I said yes and the RepRap application runs and I can play with it. Hurrah!
(should I be concerned about the errors at this stage?)
The next step is to install the Commapi...
There is not an API for Windows.
Linux, Solaris, SolarisX86, and generic, but no Windows.
I tried the generic and it only contains a 2.x of comm.jar with a note that it is only there for legacy reasons.
Has anyone successfully installed an appropriate set of libs for windows?
All help is greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2007 08:04PM by Dan P..
Re: RepRap under Windows
June 02, 2007 09:49PM
if you can hold your horses for a few days, we should have a release up on sourceforge which contains the .jar, ready to run, as well as switching to rxtx which is a much better licensed alternative to commapi.

sorry about the delay smiling smiley
Anonymous User
June 06, 2007 07:40PM
I thinking of buying a computer with windows Vista pro on it. Will I have software problems? It is a AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 3800 with a gig of ram for $400
June 06, 2007 07:58PM
englewood,

I don't know whether anyone has tried using reprap-host-0.8.zip on Widows Vista yet. You can help out by testing that, if you like :-) My "educated guess" is that it will work fine, but at this stage the only way to be sure is to try it!

If you already have a machine running Windows XP, or probably even Windows 2000, that should be fine. Win 95/98/ME and NT are totally untested as Reprap host platforms at this stage as far as I know... but don't let that stop you from trying our whatever you have.

Jonathan
Anonymous User
June 06, 2007 09:35PM
believe me, windows ME NOT!
June 06, 2007 11:51PM
due to funky architecture things, i would recommend getting a 32bit processor... the 64 bit ones sometimes need to have specially compiled binaries... something i'm not sure you can get for rxtx and java3d. there are plenty of intel and athlon chips for the same price and performance, but in 32bit flavors. then again, things might just work fine.

plus it will make it easier to install linux as well. as of right now, dual booting is the best option for running a successful reprap environment. linux is the best supported, but windows does have its strong points (burning PICs, etc.)

good luck!
June 07, 2007 12:32AM
Zach: It's not so much 64bit CPUs that could become an issue, but 64bit Windows OS versions. Running Windows XP Pro on a 64bit chip, for example, doesn't use that CPUs "64bit goodness"... so "normal" 32bit Windows DLLs etc. work fine.

Englewood: On the original issue of serial libs: We recently switched to using the rxtx serial libs, these have been tested and are known to work on both Windows and Mac (and Linux of course) already. So that particular install issue appears to have been solved.

My recent reprap-host-0.8.zip host software package is the current simplest way to get started running the RepRap host software, on any of the three host platforms. If you have a chance, do give it a try and report how it goes for you here in the forums.

Vista Pro on an X2 3800+ with 1GB for US$400 sounds a very fair price to me... Vista can be a RAM hog, so 2GB might be better still if you want to multitask on it (for RepRap or for anything else).

Jonathan
Anonymous User
June 18, 2007 02:50PM
I've downloaded java3d-1_5.0 to the C:\programfiles\java\java3d\1.5.0\library\ext\
contains the 4 jar programs j3dcore,vecmath, j3dutilis and comm. I have the rxtx zip file, should I put the rxtxcomm.jar in the ex file to replace comm? I can't find the wiki page with instructions for reprap host files. I expand the host zip file and I have no executable file to use. I went to www.wiki.org and searched, "reprap host software installation under windows XP", but I get nothi. ng. I've finished three universal boards and I can't test them other than the LED
Anonymous User
June 18, 2007 03:41PM
Ok,
I think I understand the problem. In my world
Java3d lives at
C:\Program Files\Java\Java3D
Java-org-java3d-all.zip is really a jar file.
For some reason Windows gets this wrong.
You need to manually change the extension to .jar.
this .jar file goes in
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\lib\ext
or its equivalent on your system
as does rxtxcomm.jar.
I am not sure whether you are trying to build the whole development environment or just run reprap.jar which is in the folder reprap-host-0.8 I have both and they run on my xp box.
Unless you are planning to write code, with the above changes all you need to do is run the bat file contained in the reprap-host-0.8 folder.

Best,
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2007 07:50PM by Dan P..
Anonymous User
June 18, 2007 04:16PM
I have C:\SourceCode\reprap-host-0.8\reprap-host-0.8 and the batch file, repraphost starts a dos prompt and then terminates. I couldn't find Java-org-java3d-all.zip and change the extension. I just want to run the stepper board, thats all
Anonymous User
June 18, 2007 05:05PM
I understand.

go to

ANNOUNCEMENT: reprap-host-0.8.zip package is released!

Forum

read the 3rd and 4th messages.

3 contains a link to the missing file
4 reports the need to change the extension to .jar

If you start at the command prompt and cd your way to where the bat file lives and run it the window stays around and you will see that it is complaining about not having the stl loader class...
Don't dispair it took me about six trys to get all the files in the right place.

Dan
Anonymous User
June 18, 2007 06:09PM
I found the Java-org-java3d-all and changed to a .jar file and saved it in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\lib\ext. I am using jre1.5.0_11 instead of 10.
I ran it on a dos windows and this is the results! I don't recognize any of these errors
C:\SourceCode\reprap-host-0.8>reprap-host.bat

C:\SourceCode\reprap-host-0.8>java -jar Reprap.jar
Exception in thread "RepRap" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/vecmath/Tuple
3d
at org.reprap.Main.createAndShowGUI(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main.access$2400(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main$23.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Anonymous User
June 18, 2007 06:37PM
It looks like your jre is not finding the java3d stuff.
try dragging a copy of j3dcore, vecmath,j3dutilis.jar into the lib/ext of your jre1.5.0.11.
I ran the windows installer provided by Sun when I installed java3d it made copies of these files in all of my jres and created the standalone folder java3d in my java directory.

Dan
Anonymous User
June 18, 2007 07:11PM
I moved the files to the C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\lib\ext and I still have the same errors when I run reprap_host at the prompt. We really need a step by step instructions for the windows operating system. I put my reprap-host-0.8 in C:\sourcecode\reprap-host-0.8, maybe this is the problem.
Anonymous User
June 18, 2007 10:03PM
I reloaded java3D and I'm getting closer! Anyone know about this error under windows XP?

C:\SourceCode\reprap-host-0.8\reprap-host-0.8>reprap-host.bat

C:\SourceCode\reprap-host-0.8\reprap-host-0.8>java -jar Reprap.jar
#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6930b83b, pid=1504, tid=2448
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_11-b03 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C [atioglxx.dll+0x30b83b]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid1504.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# [java.sun.com]
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 01:05AM
Here is a start at a step by step install of reprap-host-0.8.1 for windows

Step by step install for Windows XP
Install jre1.5.11
[sdlc2d.sun.com]
Accept the license
Window platform J2SE
check the check box for windows offline installation, multilanguage download
Click the orange box "Download selected with sun download manager
Hopelfully the down load begins.
Jre1.5.11/lib/ext contains
dnsns.jar,
localedata.jar,
sunjce_provider.jar,
sunpkcs11.jar

Install Java3d
Double click java3d-1_5_0-windows-i586.exe [java3d.dev.java.net]
Creates java3d folder in your java folder
Adds j3dutils.jar,
vecmath.jar,
j3dcore.jar
to Jre1.5.11/lib/ext

Install j3d-org-java3d-all.jar [reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]
Note the pc changes the file extension to .zip this is wrong after you download the file rename the file to .jar do not try to unzip this file. Place the file along with all the others in Jre1.5.11/lib/ext

get rxtxcomm.jar
From [www.rxtx.org]
Download rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip (Final)
Unzip the file
Move rxtxcomm.jar into Jre1.5.11/lib/ext
Move copies of rxtxserial.dll and rxtx parallel.dll into both \jre1.5.0_11\lib\i386 and \jre1.5.0_11\lib\ext.
*note On my system having a copy of rxtxserial.dll and rxtx parallel.dll in \jre1.5.0_11\lib\i386 is not necessary, but at least one person has needed it to get things working. 7/15/07

Download reprap-host-0.8.1.zip [sourceforge.net]
Extract the zip to a convenient place (I used c: )
Double click on reprap-host.bat
If all has gone well you should have the main reprap window open on your screen.

What if it doesn

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2007 01:02AM by Dan P..
June 19, 2007 02:24AM
Dan,

Thanks for the writeup. I posted a similar but much more wordy description (and possibly mildly confused, given how late it was at the time!) of how I got a full host software development env. onto Windows at [forums.reprap.org] a couple of days ago after my first attempt at doing this on Windows.

The whole "where do I put the libraries" deal is a mess. I'm hoping to create an installer using NSIS that drops a pre-compiled Java .class file which basically just does:

System.out.println(System.getProperty("java.home"));

(i.e. it prints out where your Java home is). The libs all go under that... so I can hopefully use the output from running this one liner helper class to copy the libs (.jar files and .dlls (.so's in Linux)) automatically to the right place. This is how my Linux setup script for host software developers works.

Doing this kind of "click and run" installer for installing the libs for Windows looks like a really nice idea for Windows people... but it isn't done yet!

Jonathan

Englewood: You really really truly do not need a Java book to run Reprap. You would need to know Java to help *develop* the host software... but that's a very different thing from just running it. As Dan proved, you really can install and run the Reprap host software on Windows without needing to read (or program in) Java at all.
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 05:32AM
The file rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip (Final) has to be unzipped by 7zip file manager and the only JAR file is rxtxcomm.jar, I couldn't find a rxtx.jar to put in lib\ext, just rxtxcomm.jar. I have the reprap windows open, but it does nothing when I go to tools, stepper exerciser except complain about rxtxserial. I unzipped rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip with 7zip FM and could only find rxtxcomm.jar to move into lib\ext. The reprap window is up, but stepper exerciser doesn't work. I will go to the other computer and post the Dos error code.
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 05:39AM
This is the error I get when I try to run stepper exerciser

Exception in thread "Stepper Exerciser" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no rxtxS
erial in java.library.path
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.(CommPortIdentifier.java:83)
at org.reprap.comms.snap.SNAPCommunicator.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.gui.steppertest.Main.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.gui.steppertest.Main.main(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main$17.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown
Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 08:57AM
I moved the files rxtxserial and rxtxParallel to lib\ext and I am using a USB converter on COM4. When I open reprap-host.bat, the windows comes up! When I try to run stepper exerciser I get

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.MainDean>cd\

C:\>cd sourcecode\reprap-host-0.8

C:\SourceCode\reprap-host-0.8>reprap-host.bat

C:\SourceCode\reprap-host-0.8>java -jar Reprap.jar
Opening port /dev/ttyS0
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
and a error window says "Stepper Exerciser exception: gnu.io.NoSuchPortException"

The converter uses com4. I am getting close! I believe port/dev/ttyS0 is referring to another comm port
June 19, 2007 09:32AM
Englewood,

Make sure that you have set the correct property for your comms. In the property window, set the com port to COM4 instead of /dev/ttyS0 (which is the *nix name of a com port)

Also, you mentioned this error you have in a prwvious post
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6930b83b, pid=1504, tid=2448

This has to de with the ATI drivers for your graphics card and the Java Virtual Machine wanting to use OpenGL. I get a similar error on XP (also an ATI card) but only when exiting the application, not during, so for me this is not a critical issue. Try to upgrade to the latest ATI drivers and make sure you have OpenGL enabled.

Joost
June 19, 2007 09:41AM
Yes, ATI cards' driver software has definite issues with OpenGL. I ran into the problem with the Art of Illusion Java software that we also use. Something that OpenGL does causes the driver to get into an infinite loop which locks up the screen. With AoI, however, the problem could be solved by just shutting off OpenGL.
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 09:51AM
Where do I change the serial port, (this property window) it isn't in the Java program. I am use to going to the control panel and setting up the comm port, (port and interrupt) and then setting the serial transmission protocol, (like 8N1 and 9600 baud, software handshake) and then going with it. How do I enable OpenGl?
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 10:28AM
I changed my usb to com 1 in the devices on control panel, (windows XP takes some getting use to). My universal board wasn't silk screened so I am using the photos to find the Rx and TX on both boards. The comm board is (right of the LED with the LED edge facing you) gnd, rx, gnd, tx and the stepper board is gnd, rx, tx, gnd to the right of the 4 pin stepper connector. I still get the same error while starting stepper exerciser.
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 10:40AM
Sorry about the rxtx typo, I have edited the post accordingly.
best
dan
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 10:51AM
please tell me it is rxtxcomm.jar? and I moved the DLL files rxtxserial and parallel into lib\ext and it seemed to run better. I just can't use the stepper exerciser
June 19, 2007 11:23AM
Englewood,

You anebale OpenGL via the driver properties of you ATI card (right click on your desktop and pick in the pop-up "ATI Catalyst control center" or something like that, or pick Properties, the in the panel that pops up the tab "Settings", then the button "Advanced". There should be a tab to control you ATI driver. You might want to check the help for you ATI driver software as well (maybe on ATI's website?)

The rxtx jar file should be in \lib\ext folder under the JRE or SDK folder.

On you UCB, TX is pin #8 of the PIC and RX is pin #7; you might be able to trace them using a multimeter or just follow the copper tracks. On the comms I *think* (!) RX is on pin #11 and TX is on pin #12 of the MAX232 chip. Then you can connect RX on the comms to TX on the UCB and vice versa correctly.

As far as the properties go, when you've have started the java application, go to the menu File -> Preferences. In the first column there is a property called "Port(name)". Enter the right com port there (in you current setting probably com1, otherwise com4 which was the original USB com port)

Good luck,
Joost
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 06:45PM
I went into file, preferences and set the port to "COM1". I still get "Stepper Exerciser exception: gnu.io.NoSuchPortException" when I try to start the stepper exerciser. I fed back the rx to tx and I can read my text back, so the port and max232 are OK.
Anonymous User
June 19, 2007 07:34PM
In files, preferences I set to "COM1". I have a usb to serial adapter set to com1, 19200, 8n1, no handshake. What is the correct windows XP name to put in Port for reprap host program? I keep getting "stepper exerciser exception,gnu.io.NoSuchPortException"
June 19, 2007 08:22PM
Englewood,

What exact version of Sun Java are you running (Start -> Run, cmd, Enter, type in

java -version

and press Enter. Tell us what it says.)?

Also, exactly where in your system did you put the RXTXcomm.jar file and the associated two .dll files?

I'm wondering if you have somehow got Java to see the RXTXcomm.jar file OK, but not its native code .dll files, rxtxSerial.dll and rxtxParallel.dll, which it also uses??

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login