Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GENERAL DISCUSSION

Posted by Oscar Fox 
GENERAL DISCUSSION
December 02, 2009 06:44AM
please post any RepRap focused questions, ideas or information here.
Re: GENERAL DISCUSSION
December 22, 2009 01:52AM
Just thought I would say hi, new to all this Reprap stuff.. looking to build a repstrap myself.

I have near me, a huge metal recycling facility, with lathes, cnc's.. the lot, the owner is a tighta$$, but hoping he will let me use the equipment or buy bits cheap.

~Shiro
o hey there
September 16, 2010 01:03AM
'morning everyone,
I hope to use reprap to create an ever increasing minion army of MTRAN3 beasties.
Maybe use the reprap to make spore-inspired animal suits for 'em too...
grinning smiley

If I can find anywhere to get even some basic parts, fantastic.
If not, well hey I'll make em myself.

Who says a lego/tape/dowell repcrap can't make a slighyly better repcrap?

~catch
I'm more about the rep, unsure on the rap...
Re: o hey there
September 23, 2010 08:24AM
Well this looks like the place to say Hi.

I am just starting to look into building a reprap of some sort. Still trying to work out what the best way would be. Currently im thinking wolfstrap - Mendel

I was wondering if there were any other people in and around melbourne active building or have built a mendel or similar.

If i can find some locals it would be good to pick some brains and see how things are done .

Currently im investergating getting a small batch of the ramps stepper PCB shield made as i cant find them for purchase atm.

So all going well ill have 5-6 spares to get rid of. maybe it can help someone else

anyway just saying hi for now.

Scorpia
September 23, 2010 11:41PM
Hi Scorpia,

A good place to check out would be the Melbourne Hacker Space which is known as CCHS (Connected Communities Hacker Space). <-- It's a Google Group btw.

I'm a member and am in the process of building my Mendel. I'm almost up to the stage getting the electronics to control the mechanical. I'm using a RAMPS board for my electronics. I'm considering doing a re-design of the RAMPS board to correct a few things (not that I designed it, but there are a few niggles with the board layout, namely the caps that sit across the Pololu board power rails are physically too close to the pins), and I'm also considering doing a version using SMT components (where possible).

Apart from myself, someone else in the Hacker Space is building a Mendel for themselves as well, but I don't think they're anywhere near as far through the process as I am. Also, the Hacker Space has access to a Makerbot Cupcake and they're printing parts for a Mendel that will belong to the Hacker Space itself. They've also got a home-made CNC router machine that is close to finished, which should prove useful as well.
October 09, 2010 07:43AM
Well a little good news,

I got the basic frame built for my wolfstrap built. next im looking for steppers to mount on it etc.

Anyone got local sources of stepper motors and maybe the pololu drivers other than robotgear.com.au?

they seem to have ok pricing so im happy to go with them except they seem to be out of stock.

Also starting to think about extruder and hotend now. any thoughts on that would be good as well.
October 09, 2010 09:28AM
ausxmods.com.au are good for high-torque steppers.

[ausxmods.com.au]

I got my pololu's from robotgear, and they appear to have them in stock.

[www.robotgear.com.au]
October 09, 2010 06:05PM
those seem to be the two i have found as well.

trouble is i will be waiting on the stepper drivers soon as robotgear is on holidays for a couple more weeks.

at least i can pick up a couple of steppers from ausxmods and mount them ready to go.

Peter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login