Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing circular objects

Posted by newbie 
Printing circular objects
May 26, 2011 04:35PM
Does anyone else have problems printing circular objects, the machine takes the circles developed in my 3d program and turns them into 14 sided polygon. Is this a STL issue or is it G-code?
Re: Printing circular objects
May 26, 2011 07:01PM
It's whatever program you used to make the STL. Most CAD programs allow you to specify the accuracy when converting to STL. If you specify something reasonable for Reprap, i.e. 0.1mm, it is surprising how few sides you need to keep within that accuracy.

For aesthetically nice looking circles you need more sides because your eye is sensitive to the light changes you get from the different angles of adjacent facets. Some CAD programs also let you specify an angle accuracy and you need something below 5 degrees to get smooth looking circles. Ironically that produces vertices that deviate far less than 0.1mm from the true circle, which is far more accurate than the machine is.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 26, 2011 08:04PM
thanks i'll look into it
May 29, 2011 09:46PM
I had problems with the official RapRap software, although there's probably a setting somewhere to reduce the granularity. When I switched to SkeinForge it largely fixed it, note the 2nd picture in the May 25 entry on my blog at [www.ppl-pilot.com] (the one with the two yellow gears).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login