Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New member introduction

Posted by bsutton 
New member introduction
July 06, 2011 09:57PM
Gentlefolk,
I've just joined the forums and order parts for a Prusa, so living in Melbourne (Heidelberg) I thought I would introduce myself.

My background is a software developer (Java) so if you've got questions on the subject I would be happy to help out.

I'm currently trying to get the Host application running on Ubuntu (my desktop OS) and its not as easy as it should be.
I'm looking at updating the debian packages so that it will actually install the host application with a one line command. I suspect this is going to take a little while.

As to interests going forward, I'm working on a 3d scanner or what I would call a 2.8 d scanner. I've done a lot of reading and most scanners that clam to be 3d are really only 2.5d in that the simply scan from the front of an object. What I'm trying to do is build a system that rotates the object to build close to a full 3d model. I've have some theories about doing a full 3d scan using a transparent turn table and having the laser scan under the turntable. Some interesting issues here with refraction but I think I can build software that can correct for these issues.

Once I get a bit further along with the CAD model I will post the design.

I would be interested in hearing what people think of the idea. Is there something out there that already does this that I've missed?

Oh, and I want the design to be fully printable except for the motors and and electronics. I have a design in mind that looks promising, but as always the devil is in the detail.

By the way has anyone considered the idea of designing a printable motor, just add your own wire and brushes?

Brett
Re: New member introduction
July 07, 2011 10:51PM
Hi and welcome aboard Brett.

I have a working Prusa and Huxley. I'm also about to releace the Mini Prusa printer.
The mini prusa is a smaller version of the Prusa but cheaper to build.

I have have any problems please ask.

Auzze
Ballarat.
July 08, 2011 07:01PM
thanks for the welcome. And yes I will be sure to ask questions WHEN I have problems grinning smiley
July 10, 2011 03:45AM
Heya Brett, welcome to the group. I'm a professional Java programmer myself (among other things), my background is 16 years in game development.

Can't help you with the Ubuntu issue I'm afraid, when I first got into RepRap about a year ago there were a lot of things I didn't like about the existing electronics so I developed my own (it's under "Repic" on the Wiki).

I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that someone tried printing parts for a motor, but to be honest I think RepRap's still quite a way off before it produces anything actually usable. 3D printing requires a surprisingly high level of precision to operate consistently and reliably, at the moment that precision has to come from non-RP parts.

With respect to the scanner there's been quite a bit of work in that area, here's one:

[builders.reprap.org]

But if you come up with something usable yourself then you should definitely put your results on the wiki, there's obviously a high level of interest out there.

Mark
July 10, 2011 05:55PM
Another new face, Welcome.

seems like alot of the reprapers are in comptuers in some way. im a Network engineer , there seems to me lots of programers and PC guys in general.

since your in melbourne its probably worth trying to catch up with the melbourne hackerspace www.hackmelbourne.org and see whats going on there.
you will need to contact andyg via that wesite for the address as its at his house.

We currently have 3 prusa's being built around there atm, so now is probably a good time to pop around and learn whats going on.

Also pop your name down on the melbourne page int he wiki. its a good place to get a general idea of whats going on with people in melbourne.

Pete
July 11, 2011 08:33AM
thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
I'm definitely coming to the next meet (subject to my wife's permission grinning smiley).

I've just received my parts for a prusa and managed to assemble the first A frame tonight so I'm quite excited at the moment.

I've forked the host application on git hub and I've dug in to the code. I've started to clean up the UI (it needs a fair bit of work) and its already starting to look nice. I've cleaned up a few small bugs on the way.

My next task is to create a bit rock installer. This is a cross platform installer. I've decieded to do this as I've have some experience with bit rock and the cross platform angle will help a lot more people. bit rock is also free for open source projects.

Brett
July 12, 2011 06:06PM
What software have you forked? the reprap host software?

If thats the case im not sure how much interest there is as it doesnt seem to get alot of use anymore.
July 12, 2011 10:27PM
Yes I've forked the reprap host.

Once I've finished with it, it will get lots of use grinning smiley
July 13, 2011 05:43PM
Not that I want to curb any unbridled enthusiasm or anything but before you invest too much time it's worth bearing in mind that RepRap are a notoriously tough crowd to please at the best of times, far more so than other projects I've been involved in. Finding a way to reliably and consistently improve print quality across a wide range of different machines will generally be greeted with enthusiasm, at least by some. Making cosmetic changes, or redesigning something that's been done already, generally will not.
July 24, 2011 09:13PM
Myndale,
Thanks for the advice.

My plans go a bit further than cosmetic.

Probably in this order.
Debian installer that just works.
Ui cleanup with a focus on usability
Gecode generation performance
Automation of the calibration process
3d scanner control
Other ideas as the present themselves
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login