Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

10 tooth Pullies?

Posted by schulz 
10 tooth Pullies?
September 17, 2011 10:45PM
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, if anyone had ever used the 10 tooth aluminium pullies from AusXMods:

[ausxmods.com.au]

I assume you would have to change some of the settings in the software...

Any help and experience would be really appreciated grinning smiley

Thanks!
Schulz
Re: 10 tooth Pullies?
September 19, 2011 11:45PM
I recently bought their slightly cheaper cousins, the ones with the grub screw in the middle:

[ausxmods.com.au]

Haven't had a chance to print with them yet but they seem pretty good, nice tight belt fit. You'll need to modify your firmware and scale your steps-per-mm by 0.8 in both X and Y axis, the general formula is:

steps-per-mm = stepper-steps-per-revolution * micro-steps / belt-pitch / number-of-teeth

The usual set-up is 200 steps per rev, 16x micro-stepping, a 5mm belt pitch and 8 teeth on the pulley gear = 80 steps per mm. With a 10-tooth gear that'll drop to 64.

If you're not using micro-stepping at all then that would result in 4 steps per mm, which is probably too low. RepRap tolerance is around 1/10th of mm I think, so personally I wouldn't want to drop below 20 steps-per-mm.
September 20, 2011 05:52PM
Schulz. The ones you've linked to have the wrong bore size.

I've fitted the same ones as Myndale plus used their belt as well.
ausxmods Pulley
ausxmods belt
As suggested, had to change my x and y steps-per-mm from 80 to 64.
Been printing with them for a few days and they are fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2011 05:53PM by davejones.
September 20, 2011 11:50PM
davejones. I'm glad you have had success with that belt.

It seems rather stiff to me, but I haven't got the electronics going to test it out yet.
September 21, 2011 12:39AM
The auxsmods belt is a little bit stiffer than a steel corded belt that I got from ebay but it works ok. I haven't tried it on 8 tooth pulleys though.
September 21, 2011 07:34AM
Ahh fantastic! Thanks so much guys! grinning smiley That's awesome!

Did you buy any chance have any problems attaching them to your motor though?, as I had previously ordered sinilar ones off eBay (with 8 teeth), however when i put them on, the belt is too far out (too far to the right) and therefore will not turn properly, unless I also move the pulley out, which in turn means the grub screw does not hit the axle of the motor... unless I glue it, which I am trying to avoid.

Maybe it's because I did something wrong with the amount of washers needed on the threaded rod, but I don't think so...

anyway, I have to use ones, which are a bit longer, to accommodate for that...

Also, it says on the website: " * This pulley has a manufacturing error in that the grub screws were put in-between the teeth instead of on the hub, fully screwed down these grub screws do not interfere with the timing belt, the pulleys have been discounted due to this error. "

Are you guys able to fully screw down that grub screw?

Thanks for all the help guys, you guys are awesome! grinning smiley

Schulz
September 21, 2011 06:49PM
The grubscrews screw in far enough to be below the belt teeth although they are a pain to re-tighten (if they become loose) as they are under the belt.
September 25, 2011 07:39PM
does changing the pullie size and then changing the stepps per MM have any notiable effect on the print quality?

Im thinking it shouldnt but I thought it might be worth asking
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login