Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zapp stepper motor wiring?

Posted by mapexmbirch 
Zapp stepper motor wiring?
October 08, 2011 08:31AM
In the Wiki It says what connections for the lin engineering one but not the Zapp one.
On the circuit board it has 2B 2A 1A 1B
Are the letters on the left of the table matched up to the same pololu pin.
So 2B would connect to black, 2A would connect to green, 1A would connect to red and 1B connect to blue.

Could some with the Zapp motors check this please?

Thanks
JED
Re: Zapp stepper motor wiring?
October 09, 2011 01:49AM
I found the Zapp spec sheet here SY42STH47-1684B.pdf

It shows that BLK and GRN are one coil, and RED and BLU are the other. So hook one coil to 2B and 2A, and the other coil to 1A and 1B. If it doesn't work, just swap the wires of one of the coils (like RED and BLU).

When you've gotten it to work, let us know the correct order and maybe update the wiki.

Going about it another way, the Stepperworld Bipolar Tutorial has a section called Shortcut for finding the proper wiring sequence

Connect the 4 coil wires to the controller in any pattern. If it doesn't work at first, you only need try these 2 swaps...

1 2 4 8 - (arbitrary first wiring order)
1 2 8 4 - switch end pair
1 8 2 4 - switch middle pair

You're finished when the motor turns smoothly in either direction.

This shows you how to wire ANY 4-wire stepper, even if you don't know the wiring at all. Also, how to wire a 6-wire unipolar stepper to run as a bipolar stepper in either high speed or high torque mode.

The tutorial also tells you how to figure out the wiring of a stepper with a good ohm meter. Highly recommended!
Re: Zapp stepper motor wiring?
October 09, 2011 08:37AM
Thanks spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I was going to do what you said first but I wasn't sure if it would damage the motor having a pole negatively charged when it should be positive and vice versa.
I was just checking to see if anyone already knew, saves me working it out.

I will see if I can update the Wiki, just have to wait for my PSU to come in the post.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login