Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which RepRap?

Posted by Squintz 
Which RepRap?
November 27, 2007 12:42PM
I just stumbled across this site a few days ago and have a lot to learn. I've been looking at the different models and even though it's not finished I think I want to go with the Darwin. I like living on the edge.

So my question is what PCB Board kit should i buy from the rrrf? V2.0 states that it is to be used with the arduino. However, i'm not sure if this will work with the darwin since the darwin calls for PICs and the arduino is using Atmel chips. Are they two different PCB kits?

What does everyone else think? I want to build a RepRap with an Extruder and maybe adapt to a PCB creating machine in the future. So which electronics should I start with.
Re: Which RepRap?
November 27, 2007 01:10PM
Squintz,

Fuzzy area. V2.0 is made to use the arduino. Darwin technically, I think, currently uses the pic boards but outside of the firmware--which isn't quite finished but it is apparently comming along fast--that won't matter. Darwin will "look" the same no matter what boards you use. See the Make article listed in the Main Blog [blog.reprap.org] for the arduino stuff.

I'm building mine based on the pic boards just because I started before the arduino stuff came up. It sounds like they--the arduino--are better drivers of the steppers anyway.

Demented
November 27, 2007 04:11PM
Yup, DC is right.

Technically, either set of boards are equivalent: they have the same interface with the host software, and they have the same interface with the motors, etc. The major difference is that they are more modular, the arduino is majorly easier to program, and the stepper drivers are much better at driving steppers.

So, which one should you use?

the arduino ones are likely to be the best supported moving forward. they are also more experimental and have not actually powered a working, printing machine. if you dont mind being a guinea pig, then you'll be fine. i've personally tested each board and know that they all work, but i've yet to combine them as a whole with all of the proper software.

the PIC based ones have working software *right now* (even if they are a pain to program). they have been used successfully to print, and have a pretty solid track record. however, they are the old technology and are not quite as good as the other electronics, nor are they as modular.

i would recommend going with the new ones, but then again the arduino stuff is my pet project so take that with a grain of salt.

Demented Chihuahua Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Squintz,
>
> Fuzzy area. V2.0 is made to use the arduino.
> Darwin technically, I think, currently uses the
> pic boards but outside of the firmware--which
> isn't quite finished but it is apparently comming
> along fast--that won't matter. Darwin will "look"
> the same no matter what boards you use. See the
> Make article listed in the Main Blog
> [blog.reprap.org] for the arduino stuff.
>
> I'm building mine based on the pic boards just
> because I started before the arduino stuff came
> up. It sounds like they--the arduino--are better
> drivers of the steppers anyway.
>
> Demented
December 08, 2007 04:41AM
I personally like the PIC solution (mainly as I've been programming them for years and have all the programmers etc) Some of the problems are very easily fixed, I'm just about to build the Extruder controller but with a slightly higher spec pic 16F88 which has an A-D and as such should sort the temp control issues, I will also be adding a Stepper Driver as Zach is absolutely correct the stepper drivers give better operation, but it will run at 1/8 or 1/16 step.

It will probably be the SLA7062M i use but there are many options

The end result will be a system very similar to Zach's Arduino.

I think both systems are likely to be options as the project moves forward and people will choose based on their personal preference for the micro controller.

I would also expect in time that the number of options will increase!!!!

We will all support our own beloved micro controller option so buy a big bag of salt winking smiley

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
December 25, 2007 07:50PM
Just to be clear: there is currently only ONE supported official set of electronics for Reprap: the ones that use PICs.

The Arduino based work is a private unofficial side-project by Zach, and it is looking cool, but at this stage it is *not* an RRRF thing at all. If you are building a v1.0 Reprap "Darwin", build the corresponding Reprap Darwin (PIC-based) electronics.

Zach: Could we please move the Arduino PCBs etc. to a separate category in the store, to avoid this sort of confusion?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2007 08:39PM by Jonathan Marsden.

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login