Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB->Serial Converter which is working under Mac OS X?

Posted by Holger 
Hi People,

I have trouble finding a USB->Serial converter which runs flawlessly under Mac OS X (Intel, 10.5). It would be great if someone could point my to a device which is known to be working?

Thanks,
Holger
Re: USB->Serial Converter which is working under Mac OS X?
November 23, 2008 06:42PM
If you are looking for USB to Serial you should specify if you want TTL Serial or RS232 Serial. The logic levels are different.
I really don't know. After a few deeper looks into the electronics section of the homepage, it seems to me as if I do not need one at all if I use the arduino electronics (which seems wise). So this was maybe only needed for the PIC electronics, but I do not know for sure.

Mmh, maybe someone can comment on this; I rest my case and try going with the arduino as far as I can. We'll see winking smiley
Re: USB->Serial Converter which is working under Mac OS X?
November 24, 2008 10:37AM
The Arduino Diecimila has a built-in USB/Serial chip that works fine with my MacBook Pro. You just need a "Type A to Type B" USB cable such as used on most USB printers and some USB peripherals and hubs.

If you use the Sanguino or one of the other Arduino variants that don't include the USB/Serial chip you will need instead a $20 USB/TTL Serial cable:
[store.rrrf.org]
Thanks John! That was extremely helpfull!

Greetings,
Holger
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login