Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endstop Question/Possibility

Posted by Corwin 
Endstop Question/Possibility
January 22, 2009 08:16PM
Bear with me for a moment because this is an iffy suggestion (which may have been made before, I have a habit of coming up with discarded ideas XD) but could be beneficial. I was working on wiring up limit switches for my repstrap (mechanical instead of optical for now) and I realized something about the current set up that may be a place for improvement. Right now an Arduino based reprap uses only 3 limit switches - home switches for each axis - to save pins. On a Darwin, they are mounted to one end of the smooth rod that runs parallel to the axis and are triggered by a printed flag. My idea is this: Why not put the sensor in the center of the travel and print a second opto flag as an end switch? One sensor should be capable of doing double duty as both home and end switches, especially since standard printing doctrine is to not leave the build at the home position and neither limit nor home is expected to be encountered during a build. I don't have a working machine yet and I haven't played around with the firmware either, so I don't know if this is a good idea or really possible, but if it seems like something that could be made to work it should be a fairly easy hack for someone who has a darwin.
Re: Endstop Question/Possibility
January 22, 2009 08:19PM
That's been thought of before, but I don't know of anybody who has actually set up a Darwin that way.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login