Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Motor Driver 1.2 problems

Posted by James Weng 
I have two 1.2 stepper drivers, and when they are plugged into power the LEDs light up, but whenever I plug them into a arduino or sanguino and try to get the motors to turn nothing happens. Does anybody have any idea what's wrong with the drivers? Thanks.
Re: Stepper Motor Driver 1.2 problems
July 31, 2009 09:14PM
I have a V1.2 board, Wire Wrapped to a BasicX, as I didn't get my Sanguino up and running till quite recently.

Are you using your own code?
If you are you need 3 pins wired, direction, step and ground, just send a bunch of high and low pulses (eg 400 pulses) to turn the motor

Did you select full or half step?
There is a few pads laying idle, just make a solder bridge between the centre pad and an adjacent pad to select the stepping mode
I was trying to use the code on the reprap site here, and I have it set to half step.
July 31, 2009 10:51PM
Do you have the boards hooked up to the correct pins? The test code uses different pins than the official reprap wiring diagram uses.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
jay
August 02, 2009 03:01PM
I am having the same problem. I tried a few things:

1. Replaced the IC L297 between a working and non-working board. Does not help. IC not an issue.
2. Checked the component values, they all are in the range they should be in. (I dont know how to check the caps though).
3. While trying to check the trim-pot using supply ground as reference, I blew out a trace in the PCB, I had to add a wire to fix the connection.
4. I tried re-soldering all the components. No help.

Any idea or direction on how to debug would be helpful. I have 2 boards working fine, only 1 has issue.

Thanks,
Jay
August 03, 2009 05:05PM
Have you wired the enable pin up? Probably obvious I know, but without it it wont work!

Phil
September 20, 2009 09:54PM
In my case, (stepper driver boards v 1.1) the steppers refused to work until I disconnected all the enable and sync wires. I then set the sync jumpers to "master" on all 3 boards. I use firmware v. 1.3, Arduino v. 0010 and Host v.1

Brew
September 21, 2009 09:41AM
Do the LEDs change when you run the program? Does the heatsink heat up? Have you tried measuring what goes out to the motor?

-Lars
September 21, 2009 02:45PM
Did you try to turn your motor "manually"? Just wire a bunch of buttons to your driver board to simulate the step and direction signals. You should be able to turn your motor like that. If this works, you already know that the problem is not the driver itself but rather something on the controller board or the wire that connects both boards...
September 21, 2009 05:57PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login