Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MakerBot thermistor kit

Posted by drummerboyx 
MakerBot thermistor kit
December 04, 2009 06:45PM
Hello,
My temperature sensor on my extruder, unfortunately, burned out. The one I need is the MakerBot version, but like most things on the store; it's out of stock. Does anyone know if there is another version of this that is found on another site?

Here is the link for the MakerBot version:MakerBot temperature sensor kit
Re: MakerBot thermistor kit
December 04, 2009 08:16PM
The circuit is so simple that you can bread board it or build a rats nest with those parts, which you can get from virtually any local electronics shop
December 04, 2009 09:17PM
Can you give the circuit for it? If not, where can I find it.
December 05, 2009 12:54AM
Its the same on the same page as the link you posted.
[store.makerbot.com]

Funnily enough, its not in the MakerBot SVN.

Just remember that R1 is not soldered.

Though the circuit is just so simple, that its unlikely that its the circuit that is faulty, but the thermistor in the MakerBot that has died.
A good reason to switch away from thermistors, they are NOT designed for high temperature range that is used in 3D printing. I don't know if MakerBot will accept a thermocouple sensor as a hack, if its firmware is anything like Adrian's 5D then it shouldn't be too hard to make the necessary adjustments in the Arduino firmware
December 05, 2009 05:52AM
The Epcos thermistors specified are rated for 250C, so are suitable. I have taken them up to just below 300C and never known them to fail.

The only time I have burned one out is when I shorted it to the 12V heater. That also destroyed the micro reading the temperature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2009 05:53AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 05, 2009 09:04AM
Great! I just realized that MakerBot sells the temperature sensor V2 PCB. Do you think I should just buy that, get the Epcos Thermistors and then just get the other components? It's probably easier to solder on, ect.
December 05, 2009 10:00AM
Yes you could do that, but it is such a simple circuit you could just mount C1 and R2 on the connector. All the other parts are unnecessary.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 05, 2009 10:08AM
True...I'll try to build the circuit myself. I'll keep you guys updated!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login