Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Driver shuts down my RAMPS board...

Posted by Stevie_j1000 
Stepper Driver shuts down my RAMPS board...
March 23, 2013 07:03PM
I am building my first Prusa Mendel, with RAMPS 1.4. I have Pololu stepper drivers.

When I attach one of my drivers to the board it causes the board to shut down. This happens no matter which position I attach the driver to (X, Y, Z, or E).

I can attach the USB cable to my PC and the RAMPS responds normally without the driver attached. As soon as I attach the driver to the board the LED lights on the board go out and I can no longer connect to the board.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can the driver be saved, or should I just order a new one?

Thanks,
Steve
Re: Stepper Driver shuts down my RAMPS board...
March 23, 2013 07:09PM
Check the driver for a short, probably between VDD and GND.
March 23, 2013 08:03PM
Thanks.

However, I should point out that I am very new to this level of electronics (I have a strong CAD background and am trying to get into 3d printing...).

I do not see any signs of a short on the driver. What steps should I take to find/fix any shorts that might be one the driver?

Thanks,
Steve
March 25, 2013 04:00PM
I would recommend that you try another stepper driver. If the other driver does not show the same problem, then the driver you talk about is blown.

Also, you really should turn off the power, BEFORE you temper with the electronics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login