Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Axis Stepper Clicking and Missed Steps (Rambo)

Posted by Docmani 
Z Axis Stepper Clicking and Missed Steps (Rambo)
May 22, 2014 04:38PM
So I recently got my Lulzbot Taz clone up and running.
It's running a cheapo Geeetech Rambo 1.2 board at 24v (I soldered a 15 amp fuse holder to it)

I've had two problems so far:

After its been running for a while, the Z Axis steppers 'click'. They twist and twist back very slightly at a regular 3 sec interval producing an audible click sound.

Every so often it loses a z axis step and I get a squished layer. Unsure if its both steppers but it looks like it.

So, similar problems on RAMPS suggest increasing the current. The Rambo calibrates on the board.

I'm not sure if this is the result of getting a cheap board and running it at 24v or what the issue might be.

Any suggestions?
Re: Z Axis Stepper Clicking and Missed Steps (Rambo)
May 22, 2014 11:02PM
Answered my own questions.

First I had not realized you can change Rambo's driver current values in firmware. Good to know.

Now the problem was weird. The values were actually set too high (not low). I think all the steppers were getting too much current and it was maxing out the draw on my power supply and actually causing the Z steppers to get less than they needed (while the other steppers got more)

That was my theory anyways. I lowered the current values across the board. It is working great now. We will see if it keeps up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login