Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

direct LAN connection PC <> Duet 0.6?

Posted by o_lampe 
direct LAN connection PC <> Duet 0.6?
October 22, 2015 08:31AM
My Duet0.6 has just arrived and I wanted to know, if I have to use a "crosslink" patch cable to connect the board directly to the laptop? ATM, I don't have a router/switch.

Also found no info about simultaneously using USB power and external 5V supply is allowed? I've tried it and it worked, but the micro-USB connector got warm ( same when powered by USB alone )
I plug in the external 5V first, then USB, but it still gets warm.
-Olaf
Re: direct LAN connection PC <> Duet 0.6?
October 22, 2015 11:38AM
No, an ordinary Ethernet cable should work OK. Almost all Ethernet ports auto configure the wiring configuration these days. You will need to configure the IP addresses so that the laptop and the Duet are on the same subnet. For example, 192.168.0.1 for the PC, and 192.168.0.14 (which I think is the default) for the Duet.

Connecting the USB port while the board already has 5V power is OK. If the USB connector is getting warm, that could mean that the ground connection between your 12V or 24V PSU and the Duet is poor, and the USB cable is completing the ground circuit. Power off and check that the 12V power wires are secure in the power input terminal block of the Duet, and at the power supply.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 23, 2015 03:56AM
I tried it directly and pinged the duet from a CMD window with no success.
The 109k version has 0.0.0.0 as DHCP IP address, which I changed back to 192.168.1.14.
Now only the Ethernet port of the laptop has an unknown config. ( Maybe DHCP too ?)

I borrowed an older DSL router and managed to get connection now. But I don't want to install a router as part of the printer permanently. Have to dig deeper into the LAN port config...

The external 5V regulator that came with my Duet 0.6 was ( temporarily ) powered by a 3s LiPo battery. No ground loop possible.
Now that I'm running communication by LAN, this issue will only matter during FW-uploads.

Is it save to run FW-uploads from USB power only, when nothing else than the controller is connected ( beside opto endstops )?
-Olaf
October 23, 2015 09:20AM
Did you set the IP address of your laptop's Ethernet port? If not, then it will attempt to use DHCP.

Yes you can do firmware uploads using USB only, as long as the USB port of your PC or USB hub can supply enough current on +5V. Most PCs can, but some laptops might not.

I am puzzled by the micro USB connector getting warm. Are you sure the micro USB connector is generating the heat, and not something else on the PCB?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 23, 2015 11:36AM
The USB connector housing was warm when I unplugged the cable ~40C, nothing too alarming.

Now that have LAN connection, I focus on getting the printer running. A few issues are still unsolved:

1. Can I slice with Cura when M83 sets the extruder to relative mode? I've seen M83 in several gcode macros, I'd have to rewrite them I guess...

2. Can I use a NO z-probe switch and how can it be configured as such?
The auto bed calibration doesn't work right now.It ignores the z-probe, although I changed the wiring to NC and see it triggering in the web-window ( Now going from 0 to 1000 when triggered )

3. Why are the homeall and AB-calibration moves sooo slow? I've already changed the speed in homedelta.g but it seems that the homeall button ignores it. (www files are 1.09b IIRC )
Should I rename homedelta.g in homeall.g to make it work? Sending "G28" directly hasn't worked either.
I also noticed, that I can move in X and Y direction pretty fast ( default is set to 6000mm/min ), but Z-axis is annoyingly slow. A checkbox in the www-configurator to make Z equally fast would be nice.

4. What about PID autotune? Does it even exist in RRP?

Thanks for your patience and time, David. It's much appreciated.
-Olaf
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (3.2 KB)
open | download - homedelta.g (463 bytes)
October 23, 2015 01:32PM
1. You can use Cura, but you need to include M82 in your start gcode to switch to absolute extrusion. Leave the M83 commands in pause.g and resume.g, they are needed precisely in case you are using absolute extruder distances in your gcode.

2. Yes you can if you add M574 E1 S0 to config.g. However, if your Z probe value is changing from 0 to 1000 when triggered, then the Z probe is working. What do you mean when you say that the auto calibration "ignores the Z probe"? What do you have in your bed.g file?

For initial calibration, I suggest you add parameter F20 to the M558 command in config.g. This will increase the Z probe dive height to 20mm. You can reduce it again when you have run auto calibration two or three times and copied the resulting M665 and M666 parameters into config.g.

3. There is a typo in your config.g file:

M203 X20000 Y20000 20000 E3600 ; Maximum speeds (mm/min)

It should read:

M203 X20000 Y20000 Z20000 E3600 ; Maximum speeds (mm/min)

That explains your slow speeds.

4. RRF does not yet support PID auto tune. It's on my list to add, but there is very little demand for it because the default values work fairly well for most modern hot ends anyway. If you get serious overshoot or undershoot, post the temperature graph from the web interface and I'll make a suggestion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 01:34PM by dc42.

October 24, 2015 03:06AM
SUCCESS grinning smiley

I was to cautious with rising the printer height, so the ABL routine was out off its adjustable zone.

M665 R205.5 L334.0 B140 H310 ;// was H350

Now I get this result:

08:36:53
M665
Diagonal 334.00, delta radius 205.17, homed height 308.38, bed radius 140.0, X -0.68°, Y -0.30°, Z 0.00°
08:35:52
M666
Endstop adjustments X-0.29 Y-0.96 Z1.25
08:35:33
G32
Calibrated 6 factors using 10 points, deviation before 1.142 after 0.060

Thanks David for your support, this was the fastest calibration ever. ( started with known parameters from marlin config-marathon )
-Olaf
October 24, 2015 04:55AM
I'm glad it's working for you. As your Z endstop was more than 1mm off, I suggest you run a second iteration to see it it can improve on the 0.060mm deviation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login