Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Azteeg x5 Mini v1.1 Serial Connection

Posted by BPopilek 
Azteeg x5 Mini v1.1 Serial Connection
January 02, 2016 09:44PM
Hello everyone. I have a quick question that maybe someone knows something about. Like the title states, I am using the Azteeg x5 Mini v1.1 controller board on a custom CoreXY printer. Everything is working perfectly if I print via the USB or SD card options. I want to add a serial bluetooth or maybe a WiFi module to my setup. I have found the Tx, Rx, & Ground pins at J3 on this board. I am testing this using a serial to USB adapter, with the Tx & Rx lines reversed between both devices. I installed Putty and I am able to connect to the new Com port, but I cannot get it to respond through the terminal.

This excerpt from the smoothieware website is where I started.
You can also connect to the X5 with any serial console program, which should be set to local echo and Linefeed line endings. Typing help will show a list of console commands available, useful commands are:
version - which shows the current smoothie version
ls /sd - which lists the files on the sdcard
play /sd/file - which will print the file from the sdcard

So within Putty, I set the local echo and linefeed to on. If I try typing verison or any of the other commands listed, I get no response from the printer. I have the correct com port selected and have it set to 115200 baud rate. Any suggestions on getting this working? Thanks!
Re: Azteeg x5 Mini v1.1 Serial Connection
January 02, 2016 11:28PM
hope your using a usb to serial that’s 3.3v and not 5v levels.

in your config file is the second serial enabled ? not sure this is related or not... (suspect this is second virtual serial port over usb)
the default is off eg: second_usb_serial_enable false

not sure what J3 is wired to.. but if the baud rate has not been defined in the config file it should default to 9600 baud, so give that baud rate a try also

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2016 11:29PM by Dust.
Re: Azteeg x5 Mini v1.1 Serial Connection
January 03, 2016 07:21PM
After some further testing, and looking at the config file per your recommendation, I got it working!

J3 is a row of pins behind the reset button on the v1.1 board. This is where I have the USB to serial hardware adapter connected. Soon to be replaced by a Bluetooth serial module.

In the config file, the following lines are what I looked at.

# Serial communications configuration ( baud rate default to 9600 if undefined )
uart0.baud_rate 2500000 # Baud rate for the default hardware serial port
second_usb_serial_enable false # This enables a second usb serial port (to have both pronterface and a terminal connected)
#msd_disable false # disable the MSD (USB SDCARD) when set to true

I did change the baud rate line to this:
uart0.baud_rate 115200 # Baud rate for the default hardware serial port

The crazy fast baud rate is why I wasn't getting a connection before. And I also found out that you don't need to enable the second_usb_serial.

So I have Putty set to Com 3 @ 115200 8n1 and was able to connect via that, as well as with Repetier Host on this Com port.

Thanks for the config file tip!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login