Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS 1.4.4, RAMPS-FD, or RADDS

Posted by Progr3ss 
RAMPS 1.4.4, RAMPS-FD, or RADDS
February 09, 2024 07:55PM
Hi all,
It is quiet here. Lots of posts with many views but little to no replies. I don't know if its the way the posts are, or just the community, but I would like to change that.

I am looking to move to 32 bit. It does not seems that there are any of the RAMPS style shields available anymore. Seems I missed my chance.
I am looking to build a corexy. I do not need ethernet or wifi. I think it would work with RAMPS 1.4. I really do see the reasoning of doing one thing well. So an Arduino board, a shield and drivers seems like the ideal.

I have found the gerber files of RAMPS-FD, but not the others. I was hoping that someone on this site still has them. I think a few of the developers are still listed here as members.

But the real question is how do they compare? It looks like the RADDS is the most finished, but the RAMPS 1.4.4 the most effective.

If I need to assemble them myself, which should I go for? It looks like the RAMPS-FD would be $4.99 a board, 5 board minimum. Seems workable.

What does this community think?

Thanks
Re: RAMPS 1.4.4, RAMPS-FD, or RADDS
February 09, 2024 09:33PM
RADDS is not open source

RAMPS-FD (v1) was stolen by Chinese companies and mass produced, before it was finished, the mosfets are on by default! this is a fire hazard. Make sure you look at v2

these all use DUE which was never well received .

There is also the re-arm controller for a stock ramps board [reprap.org]

But there is no point in this type of system anymore. Since there are now a lot of real 32bit boards properly designed readily available

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2024 09:34PM by Dust.
Re: RAMPS 1.4.4, RAMPS-FD, or RADDS
February 09, 2024 10:02PM
Thank you for replying to me.

RADDS appears to have most of its stuff open source here RADDS. I acknowledge that I may be wrong.

Thanks for the tip about the RAMPS-FD, although I cannot find any of them for sale.

I saw the Re-Arm, but alas I don't think it is sold anymore. Seems interesting too, but didn't seem to be open source.

This last is the good part.
"But there is no point in this type of system anymore. Since there are now a lot of real 32bit boards properly designed readily available"
I am not finding any open source controllers that are not single board. What is a properly designed RAMPS shield style 32 bit board? What is a properly designed 32 bit shield with stepper drivers that can be changed? What is a properly designed board that is open source and can have parts replaced like the through hole of the RAMPS design?

That is what I am looking for.
Sorry if that was aggressive , I really do want you to respond. I am just trying to see what is still able to be made, not bought.
Scot
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login