Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

compare 8 bit to 32 bit printer controller

Posted by zaius 
compare 8 bit to 32 bit printer controller
March 11, 2014 02:56AM
Hi everybody,
i kindly ask your opinion about difference from 8 to 32 bit: is it a real improvement?
I see i think 90% of the printers are running a 8 bit board with good results: what is the real practical difference i could see (microprocessor speed a partsmiling smiley!) using a 32 bit controller?
I'm building my 3d printer, 500x500x600 mm active volume and i have to decide what board to use.
Thanks a lot for your answers.
Andy.
Re: compare 8 bit to 32 bit printer controller
March 11, 2014 08:21PM
Delta printers are supposedly pushing the edge of 16 Mhz CPU performance, due to the complex calculations they need to do. The current crop of popular 8-bit controllers are obviously fine for a Cartesian printer, and support is easy to get. If you plan to build a Delta or push the envelope with insanely fine microsteps, then you may want to consider a faster processor or 32-bits. Otherwise, especially if this is your first 3D printer or if you need significant help with the electronics, go with a common board like RAMPS to take advantage of the peer support because almost everyone here has one.....
March 12, 2014 11:13AM
Hi Vreihen,
many thanks for your answer,
probably i did a mistake because i bougth a duet board plus expansion. As you know is a 32 bit. What's your opinion about this board?
My design is cartesian.
I choosen this board because i have 7 stepper (2 for every axis + 1 extruder) and also because of the 32 bit.
I've got a very good help from people of duet until now so i hope i'll have the same when i'll start it up.
Many thanks again.
Andy
March 12, 2014 07:53PM
I don't know anything about that combination, other than that I think Repetier's firmware supports it as one of the DUE family boards. Is there a Marlin build for it? I don't think that any board is a bad decision...if you are comfortable with electronics and firmware and are up to the challenge of making it work. I still haven't made a decision on what 32-bit board I will be upgrading to, but then again my current Delta printer is still far from tuned or finalized.....
March 13, 2014 01:29PM
Hi Zairus,

if you need 2 for every Axes (X/Y/Z syncron) you can design a y-cable (for x and y)
32 bit is NOT strictly nessesary for a normal cartesian, but ...

In Future it will be availible the 128 Micrstepperdrivers, than for the Precision ...
I will sell the RADDS v1.1 on Monday for 49,90 Euro. I think, that the Arduino DUE 36 Euro +VAT etc.. (nearly the same Price like arduiono Mega+Ramps 1.4 ..)
If you use Repetier Firmware it is a nice Electronic Solution ...

Mein Club: [hackerspace-ffm.de]
RADDS-Shield -> Commercial [max3dshop.org]
March 20, 2014 11:31AM
Hi Vrehein, thanks for your answer!
Angelo, what type of stepper driver is 1/128? is it compatible with duet?
I'm very interested!
Thanks.
Andrea.
March 21, 2014 10:33AM
Hi zairus,
i think, that duet has plugged the 1/16 directly (no).
I will test the 1/128 Microstepperdriver with the RADDS Shield.

In 2-3 Weeks it is for sold.

Mein Club: [hackerspace-ffm.de]
RADDS-Shield -> Commercial [max3dshop.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login