Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiring up the laser to RAMPS

Posted by KatSeiko 
Wiring up the laser to RAMPS
January 31, 2020 04:43AM
Okay, here's my first post..

I have a laser that turns on with 2 wires (it's on/off at 12V) and the GCode that my laser program creates uses M03 and M05 to turn the laser on and off. I have chosen to use a RAMPS to drive the thing and I use Marlin firmware with the option "MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_SF" in the Configuration.h file.

At the moment, I have connected the laser on D08 where some manuals write that you're supposed to connect the laser on that port. However, this will result in the laser only being turned on or off with M106 and M107.

Can you help me figure out how I have to connect that laser so that it'll work with the M03/M05 commands?
Re: Wiring up the laser to RAMPS
January 31, 2020 07:04AM
In Configuration_adv.h enable LASER_FEATURE

in pins_RAMPS.h is the following, change the PWM_PIN to 9 or 10

#define SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN     4   // Pullup or pulldown!
    #define SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_PIN     6   // Hardware PWM
    #define SPINDLE_DIR_PIN           5

NB this probably will not work correctly as M03-M05 are supposedly broken..
See [marlinfw.org] for details
January 31, 2020 07:50AM
For better understanding.. Does this mean that D08 is the correct output to attach the laser? Otherwise, where do you connect the wires on the RAMPS to make this thing work?

Also, is there a software you can recommend for generating the GCode? T2Laser is a bit suboptimal.. I'm generating the GCode there and run it through Pronterface at this time..
January 31, 2020 07:17PM
No!

D8 is is used by the fan.

You connect the laser to D9 if you set #define SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_PIN 9
Or you connect the laser to D10 if you set #define SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_PIN 10
February 11, 2020 03:37AM
Hello hello

I see @Dust is everywhere !

I am brainstorming under Fusion a 4 axis laser CNC for which I already have made kind of fully functionnal prototype on a board
(Arduino Mega + Ramps + GRBL5x >>>>>> )

Ordered at Ali's a 20W laser head, this one >>>>

The seller pretends "this laser must be attached to a dedicated board" but I am so stupid that I take the risk. After all, it's only a matter of PWM

I will follow this thread with a particular attention !

Everyone thought it was impossible, an idiot came who didn't know it, and he succeeded
Attachments:
open | download - board.jpg (58 KB)
open | download - router.jpg (50.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login