Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D scan to usable CAD geometry

Posted by TvdG7 
3D scan to usable CAD geometry
May 13, 2014 10:29AM
Hi guys,

I am currently working on a process to convert data from a 3D-scan (in stl format) to usable geometry in (any) CAD enviroment. I need to make a shell with a certain thickness around complex organic shapes (a scan of someone's head). If I can describe the geometry it will be a piece of cake, just offset the geometry by the needed thickness. The describing part is a pain in the ass thusfar. I haven't found any working software to do this. These huge STL files seem to put a big load on my system, and a lot of CAD packages crash all the time. The ScanTo3D function in Solidworks 2014 is not giving any usable results. I also tried Rhinoceros 5 (which is more suited for surface modeling), and ended up with a 660 mb file, because of the 500.000+ triangles in my STL file. I also tried to simplify the STL file by putting the resolution lower. This of course makes the process faster but doesn't yield any usable results in Solidworks. Long story short, does anybody have a clue how to do this or which software is suited for this purpose? All ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login