Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McWire - Plumbing Build: Printed Paper Drilling Templates

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
McWire - Plumbing Build: Printed Paper Drilling Templates
January 18, 2008 01:13PM
Folks,

I know Zach is feverishly working on documentation but I'm losing my mind waiting. In some pictures and videos, I swear I saw 8 1/2 x 11 inch pieces of paper applied directly on the plumbing pipes. These, it seems, serve as some sort of crude drilling template.

Does anyone know where these templates are at?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous User
Re: McWire - Plumbing Build: Printed Paper Drilling Templates
January 18, 2008 11:36PM
So this is the link I was referring to: [flickr.com]

Clearly Zach is having a blast on this 1.0 version.

Zach, if you are watching PLEASE direct me/us to the templates for the beautiful baby blue McWire you have built here. It's gorgeous and needs to be duplicated in mass.

I know people see the Seedling as a bootstrap for a true Darwin.

I see it completely differently. I see the classic McWire design as the Seedling for the RepRap Seedling. Meaning, a dremel bit can nock out all of the necessary parts necessary for the RepRap Seedling. ...just add a 4th axis for dremel 90 degree pivot.

My intention is to build a Souped up McWire using Zach's improved roller system. Why, the electronics are ridiculously easy. I just chemically etched my McWire board - so you can to. Then have McWire mechanically create the PCBs and parts for a true RepRap Seedling. Then you are on to Darwin.
Anonymous User
January 19, 2008 01:07AM
After a lot of digging. I did find Zach's Open Office templates here: [svn.reprap.org]

Unfortunately, I can not read them in Microsoft Office 2007. I even went to SourceForge to install the ODT reader. Lovely. Microsoft does not natively read the files. Anyways, loading the SourceForge code allowed the file to be loaded but it does not show any data on the page. Apparently the XML is mucked up.

I guess I need to wait for the PDFs.

Bummer.

Any thoughts?
January 19, 2008 03:41AM
All you need to do to read the files is download and install OpenOffice. However, I have just looked at the three files at the end of the link and they are just labels for kits:-

RepRap Research Foundation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2008 03:43AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 19, 2008 12:02PM
Hey Guys,

If anyone wants to create the templates themselves, its super easy. There are DXF files located here: [svn.reprap.org]

basically, the pipe templates have drill hole markings in the middle of the rails so you know where to drill the pipes to get the rails exactly where they are needed. if someone wants to create it and post the pdf here, i'd love you!
January 19, 2008 12:10PM
I'll take a look. I have AutoDesk Inventor Pro 10, so I should be able to convert them.

Jay
Anonymous User
January 19, 2008 10:52PM
Please do. I can open the files now myself but non of the files show dimensions with holes on a pipe. We are clearly missing something.

I'm sure Zach will have this all sorted out with the next set of documentation. I don't want to add any pressure to the situation but if you can produce PDFs with measurements, there would be a ton of people like myself who would owe you beer.

Thanks
January 19, 2008 11:15PM
Haha, I'd be willing to have one. Of course you'd be giving alcohol to a minor. I'm only 16. But yea, I'll have a look tomorrow. I'm out of the country skiing right now, so when I get home I'll get to it.

Jay
January 21, 2008 06:54PM
DK,

The files do indeed show holes and pipes. the pipe hole stuff is all in the 'xy assembly' file. The pipes are in layer 'pipes' and the holes for them are in the 'base' layer. basically the holes in the pipes are where you drill to mount the X rails, so if you show the pipes layer and the x rails layer it will all become clear.

as for measurements... if you have a cad program just use the measuring tool!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login