Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NEMA23 steppers seem weak

Posted by AndreeP 
NEMA23 steppers seem weak
May 17, 2015 11:27AM
I'm using TeaCup firmware with RAMPS 1.4 electronics. It's a custom design of 3D printer, with a larger print area. It's essentially a Prusa Mendel iteration 2 in a wooden box frame instead of the triangular frame. The Z and X axis are powered by NEMA23 steppers with TB6560 stepper drivers instead of the NEMA17. Unfortunatly the NEMA23's seems to be weaker then the NEMA17 and I'm not sure why.

The original RAMPS1.4 elektronics design has two steppers fed by the same stepper drive for the Z as. I changed this to two TB6560 stepper drivers receiving the same CLK, DIR en EN signals so that each NEMA23 has his own dedicated TB6560. The NEMA23's have their own seperate power supply, an AC to DC convertor with an output of 24V and 10A, this feeds a total of three TB6560's with one stepper motor each.

NEMA17
These seem to do their thing just fine.
NEMA23
These are wired bipolar series and seem weak.
TB6560 (stock picture)
It's the green single axis variant.
Re: NEMA23 steppers seem weak
May 17, 2015 11:59AM
What current have you set the TB6560 drivers to with the dip switches? Are the Nema 23 motors getting warm?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 17, 2015 12:35PM
I've tried 3A and 2.2A, dont know if they get warm. I'll test it.

The rest of the TB6560 settings is at stop current 50%, excitation mode 16, and decay setting 100%.
May 17, 2015 03:16PM
The maximum current you should use on those motors in bipolar series mode is 2.1A. At that current they will get hot. I suggest you use 1.6A or 1.9A. The static voltage drop at 2.1A would be 3.15V, so your 24V supply should be entirely adequate. Are you certain you have them wired correctly, i.e. yellow linked to blue and orange linked to brown? What load are they driving?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login