Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing from FiveD firmware to Marlin - A few questions about configuration.h values

Posted by Flackster 
Changing from FiveD firmware to Marlin - A few questions about configuration.h values
January 13, 2012 10:56AM
Hi,

I'm trying to use Marlin Firmware instead of my old FiveD that came with my Gen electronics from Mendel parts.
I've think I've most of the info I need to change the configuration.h file but there's a few parameters that confuse me. Any help is most appreciated.

I've attached my changed configuration.h (all my changes are marked with "//**PF"

1: There are three baud speeds already in the config file (250000, 115200, 230400). When connecting previously (using RepSnapper which I plan to still use initially before moving to Pronterface or Repetier) I used 19200. Is that a particularly low speed? Is it likely to cause me problems if I try to still use that speed?

2: I'm not using a heated bed currently. Since I have no bed heater I wonder if I should comment out these lines?
#define HEATER_0_USES_AD595
#define BED_CHECK_INTERVAL 5000 //ms

3: Since I have Gen6 electronics from Mendel parts I suspect I should comment these 3 lines
// Ultitmaker
#define DEFAULT_Kp 22.2
#define DEFAULT_Ki (1.25*PID_dT)
#define DEFAULT_Kd (99/PID_dT)

And uncomment these 3:
// Mendel Parts V9 on 12V
// #define DEFAULT_Kp 63.0
// #define DEFAULT_Ki (2.25*PID_dT)
// #define DEFAULT_Kd (440/PID_dT)

However, I have a V5 (hot end) mendel parts extruder not a Version 9. Don't know what 'on 12V' really means.
I'm unsure what is best to do...........

4: I don't know what this line does or what the affect of changing it might be:
#define MAX_STEP_FREQUENCY 40000 // Max step frequency for Ultimaker (5000 pps / half step)
Any ideas?

5: I notice the extruder advance constant code makes use of the filament diameter
(#define D_FILAMENT 1.75 for me)

If I change to 3mm filament but neglect to change the value, what will be the effect?
I was hoping I can avoid recompiling and reloading the firmware every time I change between 1.75 and 3mm filament

Many thanks for any comments

Pete
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (18.8 KB)
I'm not experienced with marlin specifically but in general:

1. Low speeds don't generally cause problems, often the reverse. Comms problems are often better at low speeds.

2. Shouldn't matter much whether bed is commented out or not as long as the gcode doesn't set bed temps or wait for the bed to reach temp.

3. PID settings are not critical. Having the right settings makes your temps stabilize faster and hold temp better but you might not notice a big difference. So those are just settings that work well for certain hot ends. 12V just means 12 volts. So that particular hot end when run on 12 volts seems to like those particular PID settings. These settings control the weighting of the proportional, integral and derivative values in the PID control routine.

4. Max step frequency is likely to be a firmware/comms speed issue since I don't think we've gotten to speeds that max the motors. So I would guess you could just leave that alone unless you find that it is pausing in the middle of long high speed moves, then lower it or raise comms speed.

5. I would imagine that not changing it would result in over or under extruding when restarting extrusion. So blobs or voids at the start of lines. That is unless that setting also factors in to steps per mm setting in which case the whole print will be over or under extruded resulting in too much or too little plastic extruded throughout the whole print.
Cheers for the responses

I'll feedback if I find any really do matter (once I get it to compile!)

Thanks

Pete
Hi,

I got Marlin working (with Ardunio-22 not 18 or v1.0)

Everything you said above looks true

Cheers

Pete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login