Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin Stepper Motors being *strange*

Posted by BillyP 
Marlin Stepper Motors being *strange*
October 25, 2013 11:03PM
Hello,

I am in the exciting process of building a Prusa Mendel i2. I have RAMPS 1.4 electronics and Marlin firmware. I have a very strange issue with my z-axis. Sometimes, it decides to move the wrong way. Also, sometimes, the motors decide to both move different directions. This is.... a bit of an issue. It happens sometimes and not at other times, so I do not expect this to be an issue in my stepper connector direction (I have double-checked and both steppers are wired in the same direction on the RAMPS board). This issue did not happen several months ago when I purchased the RAMPS, hooked up the motors, and just played around with them (to make sure they work, obviously tongue sticking out smiley).

However, right when I was about to try my first print, I pressed the "z-home" button, and sure enough, each side of my z-axis moved in a different direction. This continues to happen intermittently, in addition to each axis motor not always moving in the same direction (I press up in Pronterface, and the axis sometimes moves up, sometimes moves down, and sometimes moves each motor the opposite direction). This is absolutely crazy. As far as I can see from my basic troubleshooting, there is no reason for this to be happening.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me point my z-axis in the right direction? (Sorry, I could not resist saying that).

EDIT: Is this in the right category, or does it belong in Electronics?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2013 11:03PM by BillyP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login