Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temperature + DC-Motor problems with Teacup and Gen7 Board

Posted by svengineer 
Temperature + DC-Motor problems with Teacup and Gen7 Board
October 09, 2012 07:25AM
Hi,

I bought a Gen7 Board a couple of weeks ago to replace the electronics on my MB Cupcake CNC. I want to use my MK5 DC-Extruder but I don't get it work. Here is what I've done:
1. I connected the DC-Motor to the Board (port for the heated bed)
2. I started RepG to activate the heated bed by the control panel -> DC-Motor works
3. For editing the config.h for the Teacup firmware (attached) I found this: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?146,139514
4. After that I tried to use the Control panel to run the Extruder Motor but nothing happened (LED off). By using the controls for the heated bed again it's not working too now, but that's fine because I changed the config.
5. I tried to use gcode, same results

The 2nd problem is the temperature control. It works in the control panel but not while running the gcode. It seems like the firmware doesn't refresh the temperature and it's not stopping to heat up.
I tried everything with RepG 0037 and Pronterface.

It would take too much time to understand and check the Teacup code by myself and I hope we can fix it together winking smiley

Thanks,
Sven
Attachments:
open | download - config.h (22.2 KB)
Re: Temperature + DC-Motor problems with Teacup and Gen7 Board
October 10, 2012 06:25AM
After this line:
#define HEATER_BED HEATER_bed
there's missing
#define HEATER_MOTOR HEATER_motor

2. I started RepG to activate the heated bed by the control panel
Please forget about using host software for anything but sending hand typed G-code until you've got this working. Hosts sometimes try to "enhance" G-code, which is counterproductive here.

M104 P2 S255 should turn the motor on, M104 P2 S0 should turn it off. "P2", because you've defined it in the third place.

To get M101 & M103 working I guess you'd need something like
#define DC_EXTRUDER HEATER_motor

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 10, 2012 01:17PM
> there's missing
>#define HEATER_MOTOR HEATER_motor

I fixed that. The motor works with "M104 P2 S255".

> Please forget about using host software for
> anything but sending hand typed G-code until
> you've got this working.

It's the easiest way to check the hardware with the control panel. I don't use it to generate gcode at the moment.

> To get M101 & M103 working I guess you'd need
> something like
> #define DC_EXTRUDER HEATER_motor

I already did that in line 425 but the gcode just stops if I try to run the commands M101, M103 or a G1 command with a position E.
October 11, 2012 07:14AM
With a DC extruder, you don't have an E axis. E commands are ignored.

I just see turning on the DC extruder also waits for temperatures to be achieved ( enqueue(NULL); in case M101). Does your extruder heater work properly (M104, M116)? In case temperatures are never reached, Teacup appears to just hang.

October 13, 2012 08:36AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does your extruder heater work
> properly (M104, M116)? In case temperatures are
> never reached, Teacup appears to just hang.

You're right. there is something wrong with the waiting command. But the extruder reaches the temperature. Even if I warm it up and start with a higher temperature than in my gcode it just never stops waiting for target temperature.

> I just see turning on the DC extruder also waits for temperatures to be achieved ( enqueue(NULL); in case M101).
That means, that M101 only works after a successful M116, right?

EDIT:
Ok, wrong. M101 has its own enqueue(NULL), which is the only function in M116. Both isn't working so there is a problem with this function.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 01:18PM by svengineer.
October 14, 2012 07:28AM
The problem might be your thermistor. In case it has spikes to low temperatures you see the right temperature 99% of the time, but the waiting algorithm never sees a full minute of temperature reached, to it never considers temperature to be achieved.

Two weeks ago a smoothing algorithm was introduced which should deal with flakey hardware better. Watch out for TEMP_EWMA in config.h. Even with TEMP_EWMA set to 1.0, other changes at that time might enhance your situation.

In case this still doesn't help, the waiting is done in temp_achieved() and the last 28 lines of temp_sensor_tick() in temp.c. You can put in some sersendf()'s there to see what's happening.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login