Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

mendel laser cut

Posted by davidrvalencia 
mendel laser cut
February 27, 2010 01:05AM
Hey, i was wondering if there are any laser cut mendels. I have access to a lasercutter and was wondering if anyone has dxfs they used to cut a mendel.
Re: mendel laser cut
February 27, 2010 01:23AM
I think the mendel design doesn't suit itself to being lasercut- too many parts need cuts from more than one direction. Just check out the X axis for example.

I believe there are other repraps that can be lasercut, but I don't know which ones since I'm not following that path.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
February 27, 2010 03:52AM
It is my understanding that Vik is developing a laser-cut Mendel design.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
March 16, 2010 01:56PM
You should be able to split most of the parts into a series of laminations which can then be glued, welded or bolted together.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines.

Si
March 17, 2010 09:34AM
I know of 2 people working the laser cut Mendel route.

Honestly after Mr. Bower sold hit set for $575, I think there are going to be a lot more Mendel pieces available in the next coming months.

RepRap might be aproaching the point of being able to sidestep the laser cut route shortly... hopefully.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
April 22, 2010 02:33PM
Many of the Mendel parts are naturals for laser cutting, laser cutting and some post cutting glueing or drilling, but some Mendel parts just cry out to be printed, because they are 3D complex.
Plexiglass part look pretty good too.
It would be nice to come up with a composite plexiglass and printed part design set that would minimize the printing time and the cost.
I think we are going to go through a choke point where there is more demand than printer capacity.
April 22, 2010 03:14PM
[reprap.org]

grinning smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 23, 2010 02:55AM
I've locked this thread. Please discuss Tech Zone Remix's Laser Cut Mendel here:
[forums.reprap.org]

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.