Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mixing Sells Mendel with Prusa Parts.

Posted by MrJohn 
Mixing Sells Mendel with Prusa Parts.
March 03, 2011 02:42PM
I am currently building a botmill Axis 2.1 Sells-Mendel kit. It has tons of nuts and bolts, and was wondering if I could mix some of the Prusa features with the current build. Such as the triangle pieces, X axis, Y-carriage and bar clamps. I know I cannot replace the z axis belt system unless I get another motor but would this even be possible? Any problems might pop up that I cannot think of?

-John, San Diego, CA

www.youtube.com/user/GeoDroidJohn

MrJohnEcker on Twitter, Gmail
Re: Mixing Sells Mendel with Prusa Parts.
March 03, 2011 04:36PM
I think the main frame pieces can easily be interchanged, but you might need different parts to do a more complete hybrid.

for example, the prusa belts go around 608 bearings, but the Sells uses 624. Sells also uses bearings instead of bushings, a la Prusa. If you already have all the parts from a kit (i'm not fimaliar with the kit you mention) it's probably just best to put it together properly. you can always make a prusa for your second printer, or print out all the parts, dissasemble your printer, rebuild it as a prusa, and then sell the kit to someone else.
March 03, 2011 04:45PM
I have printed both, and help on the design for the Prusa

Allt he parts are pretty straight forward to interchange. The Z axis spacing is the same, so you can use the Prusa X Y or Z axis on a Sells mendel no issues, just replace the aplicable parts.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
March 03, 2011 11:25PM
Yeah, I have a full set of Sells mendel parts and hardware, but it is giving me major problems.

I was considering buying a Prusa plastics and just using that set to build my x,y axis' while keeping the z axis belt system as a Sells setup.

Come to think of it I could replace the Sells Z threaded rod 360 and 180 bearing and the mover (the part with the nuts that go up and down on the threaded rod) with Prusa setups. So, all that would be left, of the Sells, version would be that belt system on the bottom since I don't have a 5th motor to mount to the other z rod.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login