Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel Frame Alignment

Posted by ReidJD 
Mendel Frame Alignment
July 10, 2011 07:58PM
So, hopefully this is in the correct forum...

I am working on my first Mendel. I have my frame sides built and the corners are now equidistant from each other (by way of the jig method as instructed in the Mendel build guide). I have double and triple checked these lengths and they are virtually perfect. I am to the point of attaching the frame ends to each other and aligning the z-axis. The problem is that the frame ends don't align with each other. It is as if they need to be twisted in order to line up correctly. The feet won't sit flat on a level surface. When viewed from the top, the base (though a parallelagram with correct lenghths) is not square.

I purchased my parts pre-drilled. Are my holes out of alignment? Could I fix this by redrilling? Is in necessary that all parts be square before proceeding?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Re: Mendel Frame Alignment
July 10, 2011 09:27PM
You should assemble the entire machine before attempting alignment, but if you find that all four feet are not touching, make sure the vertexes all match up precisely. More important that the frame being square is that the smooth rods on which each axis travel are parallel, and co-planar in each pair. If you have a piece of glass handy, you can lay it down on the bars to check. The next most important thing is that the axes are perpendicular to each other.
July 11, 2011 07:29AM
Thanks for the help! I started to go ahead and complete assembly, then align everything later, but I was afraid of messing myself up later on. I'll give that a try and post back if I run into any more problems!
July 11, 2011 03:35PM
It is possible for the frame to be twisted even when all the jigged distances are correct and it can cause the y-axis to bind. I loosened the nuts and pressed the four feet onto a flat surface and tightened them again and that sorted it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login