Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Parametric T5 Mendel/Prusa pulley

Posted by droftarts 
Parametric T5 Mendel/Prusa pulley
September 06, 2011 05:46AM
I've updated the 'classic' pulley with a version that is fully parametric, and able to create a wide range of sizes and styles of toothed pulley and idler. Long explanation here: [www.thingiverse.com]
I've learned a heck of a lot about OpenSCAD doing it! I have yet to print any, and think it needs a bit of tweaking yet. Observations, comments and suggestions gratefully received. I'm happy for it to be rolled into the github repository, if that's not too presumptuous.
Re: Parametric T5 Mendel/Prusa pulley
September 11, 2011 05:14PM
I have updated the files on thingiverse with a new version that parametises the tooth profile. This profile is 'subtracted' from a blank pulley to make the pulley teeth, and is more accurately the right shape of the belt teeth. It can also be adjusted for XL belting as well as T5. Full details on the thingiverse page.

There is a subtle difference between the teeth of the 'classic' pulley and this new version. The 'classic' teeth are a little longer and thinner, but the ramp angle of the tooth is incorrect. The new version has a very accurate profile, but isn't as deep as the old version, though should actually be a better fit and have more belt tooth in contact with the pulley tooth. I have yet to build an axis with them, so I'm not sure if this will cause any problems. There may be a tiny amount of pulley lash with the old version; the new version is tuneable to eliminate this, or increase it if you go a bit over the top with the numbers! Or just buy metal pulleys...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login