Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[QUESTION] New to RepRap, built Prusa. Still need a Hotend/nozzle. Suggestions?

Posted by Xheis 
[QUESTION] New to RepRap, built Prusa. Still need a Hotend/nozzle. Suggestions?
January 05, 2012 04:02AM
My older brother and I have built a Medel Prusa, and are in the proccess of wiring it up. We are still relatively new to RepRap'ing so we need a recommendation for a hotend/nozzle compatible with Wade's Geared Extruder.
NOTE: We have a powerful nema 17 for the extruder so we can extrude 3mm.

Although I am open to putting together/creating a hotend, we'd prefer a ready-made assembled option.

Suggestions?
J Head Nozzle and the makerbot MkIV 's seem to popular..

-Xheis
Re: [QUESTION] New to RepRap, built Prusa. Still need a Hotend/nozzle. Suggestions?
January 05, 2012 05:25AM
I have been extruding 3mm filament with a couple of ParCan's hotends (he's been developing a new design, but those are of the first series. He sells 'em in emakershop), it is a totally "classic" design compatible with many mounts (you just have to drill the peek bar at the right distance).
[reprap.org]
No failures, no problems, just about perfect. I recommend them, and (at least until I get a lathe) I'd buy from him again.
Re: [QUESTION] New to RepRap, built Prusa. Still need a Hotend/nozzle. Suggestions?
January 05, 2012 09:26AM
Check out the budaschnozzle at http:www.lulzbot.com. It's assembled and ready to plug and install for only $75. I'm just a satisfied customer.
January 06, 2012 05:26PM
For such a DIY project, I'm actually kinda dissapointed everyone insists on buying premade hot ends... Yes I know they work great, but $75+ vs under $10 to build your own...

I've had good luck with north90ty's ver 1.0
January 06, 2012 06:21PM
I can make my own but I buy these: [reprap-fab.org] because my time is worth more than 38EUR.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 07, 2012 12:17PM
fabbing your own is a crap shoot, in my experience. you can spend a lot of time and money and get so-so results. plus, the specialized materials and tools can easily cost more than just purchasing a hot end, if you are starting from scratch.

The other problem is the hot end can be your biggest cause of grief when printing. a couple extra bucks can save you a lot of aggravation.
January 09, 2012 10:01PM
budaschnozzle, ditto. Also, ditto on the time is money remark.
January 10, 2012 04:19AM
To clarify, I have all intensions on building my own hot ends (even just for the sake of a project) but we (me and my brother) talked about it and the extra money should hopefully provide a hotend that won't cause us grief for our first build.

Again, no experience so debuging a machine with a hotend I've created could prove difficult.

Also, what hotend's are everyone using?
January 10, 2012 03:52PM
I just got a J head from Hotends.com. Great machining. it does seem to drag a lot on the first layer, but it's a smaller orifice size and a whole new hot end for me, so i probably just need to dial in skeinforge.

I was using a Mendel-Parts v6 for the past year, but the ptfe finally failed on me and started leaking. Worked very well at first, but had been inconsistent for the past 6 months. also the peek support block makes maintaining it a chore, since you can't twist off the heater block with the m4 threaded rods in the way. The machining was also great, but i think that type of adrians-style hot end is just prone to having the ptfe fail.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login