Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

z-axis screw problems

Posted by terramir 
z-axis screw problems
February 28, 2012 11:13PM
I dunno but it's not as smooth as I would like it to be just hand turning right now as I am still assembling, but I have noticed that the threaded rod doesn't turn as smoothly as I expected .
you guys/gals have any hints for me
terramir
Re: z-axis screw problems
February 28, 2012 11:51PM
Running a die up and down the rod should smooth it out nicely.

My threaded rod had a few tiny burrs that made it a little rough before I ran the die up it slowly.

[johnbiehler.com]
February 29, 2012 05:21AM
I've got a curious problem with my Z screws as well. Maybe its the same problem and I just didnt notice it until I've started calibrating. My Z motors will turn down and as they near the endstop, one of them just stops. Of course it has to be the one on which the switch is mounted. So I end up with Z2 still turning the carriage down and almost running it right off of the threads while Z1 just sits there and smiles at me. It really doesnt seem to have any problems throughout the rest of the axis, but I havent run it the whole way up either.

I had initially thought to just spray it with some lube, but now I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to chase it up with a die. Just a word of advice for you Terramir, if you think you have a problem now, I'd stop and make sure you get it properly corrected. It'll be a real pain in the butt if you wait until everything is assembled!

JW
February 29, 2012 07:25AM
Just a little update to keep the information flowing. I decided to go the easy route first and try just to spray it, rather than disassemble the whole thing. Couple shots of WD40 on the threads really seemed to clear things up for my situation.

If you have the luxury of chasing the threads now with a die, I'd go a head and do it! Ounce of prevention...

Also triple check to make sure that the threaded rod is STRAIGHT! And subsequently parallel to the guide rod when you install. I had a little wobble in my problematic Z axis. Gave it a little tweak, but I suspect the rod may have a slight bend in it. If it starts acting up again, I'll my it my prime suspect.

FWIW

JW
February 29, 2012 07:46PM
actually what I just did was put the rod in a portable drill a run it up and down the nuts and it smoothed out quite a bit, but buying a die might be a good idea smiling smiley
terramir
February 29, 2012 09:50PM
i sprayed fluid film on mine.. worked wonders.
March 02, 2012 08:28AM
Fluid Film is some great stuff. I haven't had a spot of rust on any of my machines since I started using it !!

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login