Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MendelMax 1.5 Noob Questions

Posted by odgers 
MendelMax 1.5 Noob Questions
January 21, 2013 10:13PM
I am purchasing this some time this week
[blomker.com]

Couple of queries , I plan on purchasing a piece of glass (not included) and using painter tape on and painting PLA
my understanding is that pla does not need a hot bed?

a) If thats the case what dimensions glass should i get ?
they reccomend 200mm x 200mm x 5mm glass but i believe that is dictated by the hotbed size, i would like to get as large as possible without modifying the machine initally
(will mod the machien later down the track but initally i just want to learn and enjoy it)
i was thinking 230mm x 230mm x 5mm initially , i would think that would fit in ok? or larger?

b) should i order heat treated glass? i would be interested in printing polycarbinate down the track, i understand i will have to replace all the printed plastic parts of the machine.

c) is there a good guide for machine configuration once you have it together ? how do you zero the hot end and your z\y\z
ive also heard about checking voltages so you dont burn stuff out , is there a guide to this ?
I have good soldering skills and am medium level hardware \ technical , but id like to follow some reference.

d) J-Head MKV Hot End (0.35mm orifice, 3mm filament)
does this mean , 3 mm filament (i understand that part) but .35mm is the actual "print head" so to speak that sounds very fine , is there any guide to what "orifice" size you should use , sorry ive not seen anyone talk about this so im off on the terms

e)
Which parts should i setup activ cooling fans on ? im happy to put them on basically everything but , electronics\steppers\power supply? i live in australia so we can see high tempratures in summer .

f) any general comments on that machine for a starter , for the price seems ok , and i can upgrade it at a later point

~Thank you very much for your time seems like a wonderfull community

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 10:29PM by odgers.
Re: MendelMax 1.5 Noob Questions
January 22, 2013 02:14PM
See below:

odgers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am purchasing this some time this week
> [blomker.com]
>
> Couple of queries , I plan on purchasing a piece
> of glass (not included) and using painter tape on
> and painting PLA
> my understanding is that pla does not need a hot
> bed?

This is true. I've tested it. PLA works fine with just blue painters tape. I did not have any issues with any of my test prints.

> a) If thats the case what dimensions glass should
> i get ?
> they reccomend 200mm x 200mm x 5mm glass but i
> believe that is dictated by the hotbed size, i
> would like to get as large as possible without
> modifying the machine initally
> (will mod the machien later down the track but
> initally i just want to learn and enjoy it)
> i was thinking 230mm x 230mm x 5mm initially , i
> would think that would fit in ok? or larger?

The MKII heated-bed, when mounted like it is in the picture, has bolt heads that stand proud of the surface. A piece of 200mm x 200mm glass will fit in-between these bolts and lay flush on the heated-bed surface. A bigger print surface is certainly possible, but if you do not want to make any initial modifications (and would like to use the heated-bed), then you may want to stick with this smaller sized glass. You can pick up an inexpensive piece of glass at a craft/hobby store and replace it when you are up to making modifications.

> b) should i order heat treated glass? i would be
> interested in printing polycarbinate down the
> track, i understand i will have to replace all the
> printed plastic parts of the machine.

I've been printing for months with non-treated glass with the heated-bed up to 110C with no problems. I'm certain heat treated glass is always safer. Hmm... if you want your heated-bed to get hotter than that you may want to check the max temps of the MKII.

> c) is there a good guide for machine configuration
> once you have it together ? how do you zero the
> hot end and your z\y\z
> ive also heard about checking voltages so you dont
> burn stuff out , is there a guide to this ?
> I have good soldering skills and am medium level
> hardware \ technical , but id like to follow some
> reference.
>
> d) J-Head MKV Hot End (0.35mm orifice, 3mm
> filament)
> does this mean , 3 mm filament (i understand that
> part) but .35mm is the actual "print head" so to
> speak that sounds very fine , is there any guide
> to what "orifice" size you should use , sorry ive
> not seen anyone talk about this so im off on the
> terms

.35mm and .50mm are probably the most common nozzle sizes. You'll be fine printing with 3mm filament (also very common).

> e)
> Which parts should i setup activ cooling fans on ?
> im happy to put them on basically everything but ,
> electronics\steppers\power supply? i live in
> australia so we can see high tempratures in summer

I've built the Prusa and Max models and the only cooling fans I use are pointed at the extrusion point. This is a big help when printing with PLA, especially when printing small or thin walled objects. Although, I used printrboard electrics with both models, so I'm not certain if you might need more fans with the Sanguinololu.

>
> f) any general comments on that machine for a
> starter , for the price seems ok , and i can
> upgrade it at a later point

It looks like a fairly standard build for a decent price. I think your on the right track thinking about increasing the size of the print surface. That might be the first thing I would look at changing as well. Good luck and have fun with it. Let us know how it goes.

> ~Thank you very much for your time seems like a
> wonderfull community
January 22, 2013 07:50PM
thank you very helpful, as far as initial config after build is there any reference to this? i know i have to check my surface if flat \ even with the hot end , but how do you zero the x\y\z axis

what other things should i do\ check before i start printing or to get printing

-
I am competent enough to mount a pice of glass to the MDF , im un sure what size will clear the frame and how far above the hot plate i should mount it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 07:51PM by odgers.
January 22, 2013 10:18PM
also do i need to buy an arduino for this kit?

the software the guy provides has 2 folders ATEMEGA644P + ATEMEGA128P

Inside each folder is arduino-018 and a marlin folder , the kit does not list an arduino so im a little baffled
January 23, 2013 11:00AM
You zero, or "home", the X,Y, and Z axes by positioning one of the mechanical endstops that comes with your kit.

As for the print surface dimensions, mine is 9 3/4" x 11". I'm not sure I understand your question about how high above the heated bed it should be, I don't think it matters, it will clear the frame. I would keep it as low-profile as possible to avoid cutting into your Z-axis print space. The important thing is that the material you use should be perfectly flat and fairly rigid.

No, you do not have to buy an Arduino for this kit. The Sanguinololu board, included in your kit, will be used with the Arduino software. The Arduino software will be used to load any calibration tweaks you might have to make to the marlin configuration file to your Sanguinololu board.

But, it looks like you will need a power cord. smiling smiley

One thing I would strongly recommend is to carefully read over the assembly instructions found on the webpage you linked above. Many of your questions may be answered there.
January 24, 2013 06:34AM
I Bought this kit and finished assembling it over the weekend, it really is an all inclusive kit, all you'll need is a piece of glass and a power cord. I'm still calibrating and doing test prints but so far I'm very happy with it. I've already printed a few upgraded parts and replaced the belts and pulleys with better ones.
February 02, 2013 07:44AM
belatu Wrote:
> I Bought this kit and finished assembling it over
> the weekend, it really is an all inclusive kit,
> all you'll need is a piece of glass and a power
> cord. I'm still calibrating and doing test prints
> but so far I'm very happy with it. I've already
> printed a few upgraded parts and replaced the
> belts and pulleys with better ones.

could you please link me the upgrade parts you printed? thanks
and possibly any future upgrades you do , im thinking ill get a larger heatbed , send me a pm ill add you on fb
February 04, 2013 11:44PM
belatu Wrote:
> I Bought this kit and finished assembling it over
> the weekend, it really is an all inclusive kit,
> all you'll need is a piece of glass and a power
> cord. I'm still calibrating and doing test prints
> but so far I'm very happy with it. I've already
> printed a few upgraded parts and replaced the
> belts and pulleys with better ones.

After you've used the kit for a while, how do you feel about the 40 N-m (56 oz-in) motors? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the kit, but have read that the wiki-spec'd NEMA 17 motors are 62 oz-in or higher. It could be that the 62 oz-in spec is somewhat flexible (or even arbitrary), but I just want to avoid replacing the motors later on with ones more substantial.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login