Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Modifying Z axis

Posted by matthewmachinist 
Modifying Z axis
March 22, 2013 01:28AM
Hi, this is my first post, I would like to buy or build a prusa, but for my purposes I think I would need a 300mm Z axis, I am fairly certain that I need the height because most of the stuff I would want to build would have a hollow rectangular section and I have heard that 3d printers have trouble with steep overhang?

Is it "easy" to modify a prusa to have a 300mm working height, my background is mechanical with cnc mill experience so if its a case of making rods longer then no problem or would there be more to it than that.

Thanks,
Matt.
Re: Modifying Z axis
March 22, 2013 04:00AM
For 300mm height you should goto a Rostock variant.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
March 22, 2013 08:39AM
Can you explain?

Why not a tall version of Printrbot or Prusa i3? Are you thinking of tall prints tearing themselves from the moving Y platform?
March 23, 2013 02:29PM
"Easy" is a relative term... But there's nothing stopping you from increasing the z-axis on a standard reprap printer, although for variants like the
Mendel, you either have to get creative or expand the x-y dimensions in concert with the Z-axis. For the one's based on using extruded channel, it's something of a no brainer, and for those based on sheet aluminum, it's just a matter of changing the dimensions of the template(s) used to cut the sheet stock. In all cases, you may need to apply additional structural elements depending on how much you expand the printer. And of course adjust required quantities of other things like lead screw, wiring, and depending on how far you go, the strength of the motors. And as was noted, you could always use a rostock.
April 03, 2013 12:55AM
Thanks for that guys, I had never heard of the Rostock before, the more I look into it the more I am loving that design so it looks like the way to go, I am particularly impressed with the commercial "max" version. Its is more than I was hoping to pay but it looks worth it.

Thanks again.
Matt.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login