Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

confused smiley Hot end never gets above 150c with fan on...

Posted by zanahade 
confused smiley Hot end never gets above 150c with fan on...
July 02, 2013 03:54PM
Hello all,

I have a Mendel Max 1.5+ and I just finished upgrading the heck out of it. one of the upgrades was the metal magma hot end by Trinity Labs. The bad news is that with the fan on, cooling the top half, the bottom half (hot end) never seems to get hot enough for even PLA. With out the fan, the PLA in the top half expands and goes all sticky... then jamming ensues... you know this song and dance.

I am wondering if I should put a pot inline with the fan and trim it back... is there something better I can do?

ANY help is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks

-Zan
Re: confused smiley Hot end never gets above 150c with fan on...
July 03, 2013 05:27AM
Try autotuning your hotend and make sure your fan isn't too blowing to hard.

If you want to control your fan try using an lm317 board off ebay instead of a pot inline.
July 03, 2013 10:11AM
Fantastic! I'll give the autotuning a try before I go ordering that board.

Thanks! I'll post on my results.
July 03, 2013 10:55AM
It's worth a try, obviously set your autotune temp over or equal to your desired temp also try tuning with fans on and off to see how your P,I and D figures vary.
July 03, 2013 08:43PM
Ok, It is timing out when I run autotune. Looks like the fan is blowing to hard. I will order a lm317 control board. I can get one on amazon prime I'll post back once I have something new to report.
[SOLVED] confused smiley Hot end never gets above 150c with fan on...
July 09, 2013 03:03PM
Ok it took a combination of autotune with the lm317 board to get it done. Now I just have some issues finding the Goldielocks temp for my PLA... but that's for another post.
July 10, 2013 05:13AM
I hope you like porridge!
July 11, 2013 02:06AM
I'm using a Sanguino board & I think they don;t allow for a fan... yes ? although I see in Repetier there's a slider button for fan control ... hhmm ?
July 11, 2013 06:21AM
This fan is for the extruder thermal barrier, not for cooling the print. It keeps the heat from creeping up the hot end and melting the pla which causes jams. The fan I am talking about was plugged into the power supply but I put a lm317 board between the two and all is well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login