Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slightly offset layers along y-axis?

Posted by wackyvorlon 
Slightly offset layers along y-axis?
October 02, 2013 02:20AM
The problem can be seen in the attached photo. The layers are slightly offset. There doesn't really seem to be a constant pattern, it's highly variable from layer to layer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (101.3 KB)
Re: Slightly offset layers along y-axis?
October 03, 2013 06:52AM
ive had/ am still having a similar problem myself ive found its the stepper driver board trimpot needs adjusting

the problem im finding is you get the same issue of missing steps from both sides of the problem if your trim is set to low (not enough amps) then your motor can miss steps if its set to high (to many amps) the stepstick can overheat and miss steps

im assuming there is an easy way of seeing which it is and im sure one of the more experienced users can enlighten us please

cheers in advance big jay
October 04, 2013 02:27AM
Maybe too much slop in your belts/pulleys.

October 04, 2013 10:02AM
nah trust me my belts are definately tight enough that said to the OP its worth just making sure that they are nice and tight

ive tweaked my trimpot up over al ittle bit and that seems to have fixed the issue well at th emoment it does lol my motor is just about lukewarm when doing a print n the stepper driver heatsink is about the same maybe a touch warmer but not much

fingers crossed when ive finished this top electronics mount for my 3dr i will have a definately fixed it response

and stay calm and carry on printing
October 04, 2013 11:18AM
The belts are indeed suitably tensioned. I'll have to play with the trim pots.
October 04, 2013 09:43PM
Ah, I didn't mean you BigJay...

big jay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nah trust me my belts are definately tight enough
> that said to the OP its worth just making sure
> that they are nice and tight
>
> ive tweaked my trimpot up over al ittle bit and
> that seems to have fixed the issue well at th
> emoment it does lol my motor is just about
> lukewarm when doing a print n the stepper driver
> heatsink is about the same maybe a touch warmer
> but not much
>
> fingers crossed when ive finished this top
> electronics mount for my 3dr i will have a
> definately fixed it response
>
> and stay calm and carry on printing

October 05, 2013 06:40AM
oops sorry lol well i still have the shifting layers thing hohum now my stepper board is getting hot to the touch not ow its burning hot but definately hotter than it was damnit lol

whats frustrating is there doesnt seem to be a particular point that it misses and there arent any obvious signs its missed till you see a layer offset which tbh for a 4 hour print i dont want to be hovering over my printer all the time

does anyone know of a simple stress test i can print while im trying to dial in my trims to save me wasting tonnes of plastic on failed big prints

so printing a fan mount and going to mount a fan to hopefully help with the cooling fingers crossed the only other thing i can think of is slow my machine down but its at 45mm/s at the moment any slower and il never get anything printed especially the big prints i need to do for the 3dr damnit lol

cheers again for the help big jay

stay calm and carry on printing
October 05, 2013 07:00PM
Switching out the bushings for proper LM8's has made a huge difference. We've also got some improvement by lowering the current supplied by the drive. We plan to do some tweaking on the extruder feed to reduce the backlash in the system.
October 06, 2013 07:13AM
ahh nice sounds like you are well on the way to being sorted

ive upped my current to the stepper slightly and made a fan mount with 50mm fan to cool the stepper drivers hopefully this will fix the issue

i am suspecting the motor may be failing although there isnt a lot to go wrong inside a stepper im sure it can happen oh and an aside ive swapped 2 stepper drivers around and still got the shifting the only thing left to try is swap the stepper motor out for a different one

my big annoyance is ive have a few weeks of printing without this shifting happening hohum never mind

speak soon guys

stay calm and carry on printing
October 06, 2013 01:56PM
Never rule out the little stuff - maybe it's a bad connection on the stepper motor connector (or a bad solder joint on the pc board). You can have a great crimp on the connector, but if there's insulation left between it and the wire - not so good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login