Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assembling the hot end

Posted by jsluke 
Assembling the hot end
November 16, 2013 11:55AM
I've struggled to find a set of instructions covering the assembly of a hot end. However, I think I worked it out by trial and error. I would really appreciate it if a "wise mind" could take a look at the attached photo and confirm that I've taken the right steps.

Picture 1 shows the components which I believe comprise:

a. white plastic filament.
b. heater with red power wires.
c. a plastic manifold.
d. a grub screw.
e. a nozzle.

In picture 2, I dropped the filament into the plastic manifold.

In picture 3, I put the grub screw in to the manifold to hold the filament in place.

In picture 4, I screwed the metal nozzle into the other end of the manifold.

In picture 5, I pushed the heating element into the hole in the nozzle. This just seems to slide in - is there a way to secure it?

In picture 6, I put the whole assembly into the extruder.

Is that correct?

Many thanks.

James.
Re: Assembling the hot end
November 16, 2013 12:02PM
In the "no grub screw" metal end, you simply secure the heater cartridge with Kapton (orange) tape. It seems a bit odd, but it does work. You also will need a thermistor to complete the assembly.

One very minor note - the white stuff that goes into the PEEK is Teflon. Filament is the term commonly used for the stuff we feed into the setup and melt to make parts ...
November 16, 2013 12:33PM
Very many thanks Uncle Bob.

I have a thermistor amongst the components supplied. Where does it fit into the assembly?

Thanks again.

James.
November 16, 2013 12:59PM
It should be a glass bead thermistor. It goes into a little hole in the metal block. This is a pretty good video on how it all goes together:

[www.youtube.com]
November 17, 2013 05:32PM
Just what I needed. Very many thanks.

James.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login