Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with my Prusa Mendel

Posted by Raptor6L 
Problem with my Prusa Mendel
December 11, 2013 11:06PM
Hi all
Short time viewer, first time poster. I bought one of these a few months back. It's been a bit of a rollercoster ride, but I bought it knowing that anyway.
I have over the past couple of weeks got it printing some really good bits and peices, except now it has decided to develop a bit of an issue.
The X axis won't move away from home cleanly. So say I ask it to move 100mm (or more correctly to X100), it moves from home, left to right, about 5mm, has a bit of a stop and think for a second then continues on and stops at 95mm. Repeatable.

I though it it was snagging on something so i cleaned and lubed the X axis rods, made sure the belt wasn't snagging anything or rubbing on the bearing washers - all that is (and was) all fine. I certainly can't feel anything out of the ordinary when I manually move it along.

So, my next step was to swap the x and y axis motor connections on the Sanguinololu board, so X instructions was now controlling Y motor and visa versa. Friggin X axis motor (now controllered by the Y axis on the board) still did it. Exactly same problem.

So I'm now left thinking it's the motor.

Opinions? Anybody had anything like this happen before? Anybody see anything I might have forgotten to check?

Cheers
Chris
Re: Problem with my Prusa Mendel
December 12, 2013 01:17PM
Check the set screw(s) on the gear on your X motor. I'd bet they are a bit loose.
December 12, 2013 04:49PM
ahhh crap..... yep that makes sense. I'm out at work atm so can't check it for a few days. Will post up how I go when I get back.

Thanks UB!!!

Chris
December 13, 2013 04:07PM
They tend to loosen up .... I know this from experience (and a lot of yelling ...)
December 17, 2013 01:35AM
Spot on Uncle Bob! Grub screw was pretty loose.
Thanks for the tip. Will have to check and tighten every now and then.

Cheers
Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login