Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OB1 Prism

Posted by Wired1 
Re: OB1 Prism
December 31, 2012 12:53AM
I like that solution, the uprights stay the same and it fixes the problem with the belt and the extruder motor all in one. If you are able to print now you should make these and fit them to your printer and see if they work. And upload them to Thingiverse as a derivative of my printer as I think they are an improvement. With the extrusion the angles are way less important as the aluminium is naturally very strong and does not bend easily so any triangular angle is going to work.

I am taking a slightly different tack now that I have realised I don't need the front uprights and will probably alter a few other parts at the same time. I want to add up all the extrusions again and see if I can squeeze a bit more depth out of the bed and maybe a bit more height and try for 150mm build height with my "4" shaped frame idea. I'm also wondering if we really need the two top rails as well. I almost had to build the first one to see where all the tight spots were going to be and now I can see where a few minor tweaks will make big improvement.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Re: OB1 Prism
December 31, 2012 02:28PM
As I'm going through this process, I'm realizing that the entire upper part of the frame does nothing except provide rigidity to the Z axis, and it seems to me as if the move to 10mm rods provides quite a bit of rigidity already. I agree the upper frame can be greatly simplified, but I like the aesthetics of the prism shape. I'm not sure what I'll end up with at build height, but the switch to a 70 degree angle realized an additional ~25mm of height for a 330mm hypotenuse. I could therefore be approaching 150 also. I'll let you know as soon as I have it worked out. I'll also be uploading my parts onto thingiverse just as soon as I have them printed and have worked out all the math and dimensions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login